Cinque Terre (The Trail)


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
July 12th 2011
Published: August 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

CornigliaCornigliaCorniglia

Photo taken from the steep trail that winds along the cliffs from Vernazza.
Geo: 43.6731, 10.6753

Due to the hot weather we have been experiencing, we started our trail walk early this morning, starting at Vernazza. We had a light starter breakfast consisting of fruit and water.

We walked to Corniglia first, a beautiful little village which is placed on a steep cliff high above the sea. All of the other four villages go down to the water, except for Corniglia. The walk to Corniglia took around two hours, and was graded easy. In Australia, the track would be classified difficult by NPWS (National Parks). It was a tough walk, with the path being rugged and steep in many places.

When we arrived at Corniglia, we had a light but enjoyable breakfast. As the path between Corniglia and Manarola was closed due to track upgrading, we caught the train between these towns.

When we arrived at Manarola, we had some lunch. Kim found her "Farinata" food that we had researched prior to leaving Oz. Farinata is a kind of "pizza base" made from Chick Pea Flour. We walked between Manarola and Riomaggiore on the "Honeymoon Walk". This was an easy half hour walk, on a good reasonably level path.

After arriving at Riomaggiore, we had
ManarolaManarolaManarola

Photo taken from the "Honeymoon Walk" trail.
a look around the town and caught the ferry back to Monterosso. It was a great boat trip, viewing each of the villages from the sea.

We had planned to walk from Monterossa back to Vernazza, but it was a difficult and steep walk, and the weather was really hot. So we caught the train back to Vernazza and then cooled off with a long swim in the sea.

A big day, but worthwhile to try and see as much of the Cinque Terre as possible on our last day in the area.

Arrivaderci.

Jim and Kim




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

RiomaggioreRiomaggiore
Riomaggiore

Photo taken from the boat as we left Riomaggiore.
VernazzaVernazza
Vernazza

Photo taken from the boat as we called into Vernazza for passengers.
MonterossaMonterossa
Monterossa

Photo taken from the rocks at the corner of the beach at Monterossa.


Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0185s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb