A quick trip to Portofino


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
September 14th 2012
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 44.304, 9.20777

Portofino is a tiny harbour which was once a fishing village and is now a harbour to wealthy people with yachts. Our ship moored off shore and we were tendered into the harbour. Seeing some steps we set off up the side of the cliff, coming across the Castle Brown, which was closed for a wedding reception but we did see the bride arriving. After walking along a narrow path we realised that it led nowhere except to the lighthouse and a Gelateria so we headed back into the town. On the way we popped into the Church of San Georgio, which his reputed to contain the relics of St.George. They were decorating it for another wedding as we arrived so it looked very pretty. Walking from here down in to the town there are lots of souvenir shops as well as high class expensive Gucci and other shops catering for the wealthy yachtsmen. We didn't see any evidence that fishing still went on here. There were lots of bars and restaurants all around the little harbour so we stopped for a beer and noted that the prices were higher than we expected. A lovely little place which if you are ever driving around the coast of Northern Italy, it is worth popping into for a visit. The ship had organized tours to nearby Santa Margharita which is also a lovely Ligurian town, but we had already been there recently when visiting friends. So as there was not much else to see and do here, we headed back to the ship for lunch. I think the enclosed photos will give a better flavour of what the place is like.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0205s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb