Lake Como


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
July 21st 2013
Published: July 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

How different our days have been over the past four weeks. We have travelled to the seaside of Sicily, the rugged seaside of the Amalfi Coast, city of Roma, country Tuscany, canal city Venice and now to the beautiful Lake District, Como.

Lake Como is absolutely picturesque, tranquil, peaceful and yet alive! Transport is easy with water taxis, water buses, high speed water buses, a little train travelling around the district on the road so as to save on the very long walks between towns and villas. It looks like a children's ride! We have visited three gorgeous villas and their magnificent gardens, all botanical, with species from all over the world; Villa del Balbianello (now owned by the Italian National Trust), Villa Serbelloni (now owned by the Rockafeiler foundation since the late 1950s) and Villa Carlotta (probably the most splendid garden of them all.) Each villa proudly boasts gardens and grounds of approximately 50 - 70 acres, with breathtaking views of the lake, and each employs large numbers of staff to maintain these magnificent gardens. They all date back to the 17th century.

The boys have visited the Moto Guzzi Museum Factory and remain in "boy heaven."

We learned as the activity increased, that the locals set up a large market display each Friday evening in the square and along the lake front outside our hotel. Lots of interesting Italian flavours, glasswear etc etc on display And they party until the wee hours! We will take with us beautiful memories from this destination.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb