Porto Torres


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
May 24th 2011
Published: May 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

24 May 2011

We had a lovely morning at La Pelosa beach with a couple of super swims in the crystal clear waters.

Then it was on to the nearby ferry terminal of Porto Torres. Unexpectedly we saw part of another festival there. We went to see a Basilica dedicated to three roman soldiers who were beheaded as martyrs in 304, San Gavino, San Proto and San Gianuario. The building is Sardinia’s largest Romanesque structure and usually contains wooden statues of the saints but they were not there. A leaflet informed us that on May 3 every year they are removed and processed through the town to a small chapel by the sea, Chiesa di Balai Vicino. They are then returned with another procession on Pentecost which this year is June 10. We moved on to the Chiesa and had a very moving experience there. The saints were lying in a grotto carved into the cliffs and attached to the church. Women with their rosaries were sitting quietly keeping a 24 hour vigil while other people came in to pay their homage.

Our camper stop was at the resort of Platamona, 7K along the coast.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0192s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb