Around Gorroppu


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
May 9th 2011
Published: May 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

09 May 2011

A day of some frustration which ended on a high note.

For the second time the northerly wind defeated us and there were no boats running from Cala Gonone, so we had to make do with a walk along the beach and views of the wild coast we had hoped to see from close quarters.

The guide book described a country hotel just inland with good food so we drove back up the hairpinned road and after navigating a narrow and steep lane, found it, but it was closed. However another establishment, the Refugio Gorroppu was signposted close by and the owners said we could park the van there for the night and they would feed us.

One of the main things I wanted to do on this trip was to visit the Gorroppu Gorge and by chance the Refugio was situated on the minor road leading to the start of the walk to it with magnificent views over a valley with the start of the gorge in the distance. As it was still only late morning we decided try the gorge visit today. However some miss navigation and Wendy suffering from the midday heat meant we gave up 30 minutes into the two hour approach walk.

A show cave, the Grotta di Ispinigoli was close by so we spent the rest of the day visiting that and were not disappointed. It was a huge chamber 40 m high with stairs leading to the bottom and a multitude of huge stalactites, the most impressive of which stood in the centre of the cave for its full height like a giant column.

We then returned to the Refugio and the parking spot they gave had one of the most impressive views we have ever had for an overnight stop in the van. And to round off the day we were provided with a delicious multi course meal of Sardinian country cooking.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb