Floating on Water in Venice


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
September 1st 2010
Published: September 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

It was time to meet up with our fellow travellers on Top Deck, and i'm not going to lie, we were abit nervous about joining a tour half way through it. Our fears were quickly resolved as everyone was really friendly and keen to get to know more people.

What better way to meet people than having a massive toga party, with four other Top Deck groups. Made for an interesting night. Bright and early the next morning (like we were out of there by half eight) we were off exploring the city of Venice and its canals.

With the morning taken up with a walking tour through the tiny streets to St Marks Square, a look into how venice lace is made and a casual trip on the gondola we had the rest of the day to explore for ourselves. I should probably say that although the gondola was nice it was far from casual at some points. Our driver (who knows what you call them - gondalier) was pretty angry with tourists and Chris and Isaac in particular. If you lean out side of the gondla it doubles the weight that they have to control, apparently! Chris
Easy to get lostEasy to get lostEasy to get lost

The locals draw on the arrows the other way to get tourists to their shops and get them lost! At some it is hard to tell which is the right way!
and Issac took a while to understand this - males!!

The way Venice is built is facinating, with around 12,000 piles holding up the Rialto bridge. San Marco Piazza and St Marks Basillica is perfect at the right time, but during high tide it is not uncommon for tourists to be ankle or knee deep in water.

We went exploring in the afternoon and found some great hidden gems. We even seen a water ambulance dropping a pregnant local off at hospital. Who knows how they get al their groceries to their houses, it must be a mission is all I can say! Defiantely dont think i will be moving here anytime soon.

Our day wasnt over yet, to follow up in good Top Deck tradition we still had some drinking to do and a band to watch! While also keeping in mind that we had a 6 hour bus trip to Austria tomorrow.








Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Glass placeGlass place
Glass place

Amazing creations here!!


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb