Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
June 24th 2010
Published: July 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Rome day one.

Travelled to Rome today. Long and boring drive with not a great deal to look at. Oh except rain.

Day Two.

Into Rome today and the weather finally pulled through for us! We arrived in Piazza Pompolo and went to the Santa Maria Basilica. This is the church where science and religion complement each other rather than both trying to battle it out. Galileo was the whole mediator of the two. The marble in the floor was patterned into a type of calendar. A hole in the roof would allow the sunshine through, and depending on where the beam of light hit the floor they could tell dates and times. Very complex, but amazing.
We made it to the Spanish Steps, built to join the upper class society of Rome (which ironically sat much higher on the hill) to the lower society. So named because of the presence of the Spanish embassy nearby. We had lunch and wandered to kill time before our walking tour started. Right on cue the rain started too. We went to the Pantheon (commenced building in 27 B.C.), Trevi Fountain (beautiful) and lots of piazza’s and fountains. Modern day Rome is built on top of another complete city and the remains they have so far unearthed are so old. Imagine what else would be there!

Day three

Vatican City Day, Wednesday, Pope Day. We got up early and went to the Vatican City (the smallest independent country, with its own currency and postage stamp, only 1 square Km big) to see the ol’ man. We got there nice and early and picked out these great seats, and waited. and waited and waited (he is known to be late), and then after an hour began to wonder why we amongst only a handful of people to be waiting for him. Oh of course, he chose to do it inside today! What a frickin… so into St. Peters Basilica we went, and got a guided tour so we knew what we were looking at. Went to the tombs of the previous popes that are under the church (including Pope John Paul the II). In the church are 3 relics. One; the arrow that pierced Jesus after crucifixion, two; the cloth that a lady (can't remember who) wiped Jesus’ face with while he was carrying his cross to his crucifixion, and 3; a piece of the cross. We questioned the tour guide as to the authenticity of the objects at the end of the tour. Apparently if you believe they are real then they are. You have to believe. Otherwise scientific tests have indicated they are from the era in question.
We then headed to the Vatican museum. After waiting in line for what felt like eternity, we made it into the museum and followed all the sheep toward the Sistine Chapel to see the famous Michelangelo painting…you know the one where the fingers touch. It took about 5 minutes of searching to find the tiny painting on the roof, in amongst all the other paintings completed by Michelangelo’s students. It was a very beautiful room, big and all the paintings tell a story.

Day four.

Off to the colosseum today. Very impressive no matter which direction you come from! Building began in 72 A.D. its arena floor is set at ground level, so underground is where the labyrinth of cages and hallways are which they used to keep the animals in before releasing them into the arena for the gladiators to fight. Apparently the roman crowds favoured the gladiators fighting giraffes, but they also fought alligators, lions, cheetahs, panthers, bears, hippos, other humans and ostriches.

After the colosseum, we headed to Palatine Hill, which is where they believe that Romulus founded the bigger and better Rome, after killing his brother Remus to have the city built where he wanted it. Full of so many ruins that you don’t actually know what you are looking at. I do however know that one of the buildings is where Caesar was killed before being burned, and another building there housed the Vestal Virgins. Women who were picked out at the age of 10 to keep the eternal flame alight. They were obviously chosen at such a young age because they were virgins, and they were also chosen for their beauty. During their time they were to remain virgins until their retirement at the age of 40. This is also where Romulus and Reamus came into being. One of the Vestel Virgins fell pregnant to the God of War, and give birth to twins (Romulus and Reamus) who became the strong leaders of Rome. Our day was finished. We had enough of ruins.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.444s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb