Roma, non basta una vita


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
December 1st 2009
Published: December 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

(Rome - a life time isn't enough)

I am going to have to be quick with this one, or I'll miss my flight. I've learnt to take advantage of opportunities as they arise, and free wireless at an airport cafe is one of those opportunities.

So Rome. First impressions: Sunny, warm weather and palm tree's - nice. People wern't overly friendly, although understandble because I think there are more tourists in this city then there are residents. The Mafia is defiantly still around and clearly doing well driving around in fancy cars, italian suits and sunglasses. I can't remember exact figure, but they make up 10 about 10% of Italy's GDP. Distribution of cocain is probably their largest source of income. Their most recent business endeavour is illegal waste diposal, burning garbage that is toxic and harmful to the environment.

Another first impression: inefficient transit system (which I rate highly in importance for judging a place that I visit). I may have been somewhat jaded however, after a sleepless over night train from Austria.

So thats the bad. Now for the good.

Rome is considered the birth place of western civilizations. There is thousands of years of history, evident by it's many ruins, scattered throughout this busy city. Many of the main sites are downtown, and highly walkable which is always nice. So many significant things happened in this small little area that shaped the future and what we call the present today. As my guide book put's it, even the air seems slightly more significant in Rome.

There are tons of sites to see in Rome, and I can't possibly list them all here.
The highlights that I saw include the Vatican, St Peter's Church (where the Pope addresses the Mass), The Vatican Museum and the Sistine Chapel, The Pantheon, The Forum, The Trevi Fountain, and the Colesseum.

Rome was founded in 753 BC (thanks Wikipedia). The Forum, is the locaiton where twin Brothers Romules and Remus (coming from the Trojan backgrounds) had a quarell, in which Romules won, and hence the name Rome. The Vatican speaks for itself I'd say. Trevi Fountain was a highly touristy sight, but really nice at night.


Night time. Stayed at Chianti hostel which was a great hostel. Really good group of people from
America, Mexico, Australia and Morroco. Played a game of poker and chilled out.

Day 2 - Vatican city. St Peter's Bascilla. Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel. Collesseum
at sunset, followed up with some gelati (Italian Ice Cream). Night time - out with the crew from the hostel. Went to a pub which we pretty much turned into a club...another 5 a.m'er

Day 3 - Coluseum by day with new American friends. Trevi fountain and peoeple watching on a patio
with some wine. By night, another pub crawl with the hostel group.


GOTTA GO!!





Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Sistine ChapelSistine Chapel
Sistine Chapel

I didn't wander through the masses for hours to reach the sistine chapel and not snap at least one quick photo. Didn't really turn out anyway.
New FriendsNew Friends
New Friends

American girls doing some site seeing
The ForumThe Forum
The Forum

Birth Place of Western Civilization
RuinsRuins
Ruins

Ruins in the heart of the city
Chianti Hostel CrewChianti Hostel Crew
Chianti Hostel Crew

Awsome group from all ove the world


13th December 2009

good blog
hey Ben: Just got caught up on the blog. Great last posts. Sounds like your having a blast. Good stuff. Keep up the writing. Dan

Tot: 0.469s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb