Genoa


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
May 24th 2008
Published: May 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

24 May 2008

We got up at 6.30 in order to catch the early train to Genoa, arriving just after 9.00. having bought a day ticket for local transport made our way to the nearest metro station and headed for the medieval quarter. At one time Genoa was ruled by four families, each controlling its own area with its own church. However the black and white cathedral of St Lorenzo was on neutral territory so all could worship there. Its striped façade is characteristic of buildings in the area and was a display of wealth. We explored the narrow streets and alleys visiting several more churches and the old docks and had a ride on one of the funiculars.

After a quick lunch we caught the no 34 bus to one of Genoa’s suburbs, Staglieno, the location of the town’s main cemetery to look for the Commonwealth War Graves Commission section. Wendy’s cousin Anthony Ewbank was killed on 25 June 1945 when his minesweeper hit a mine in Genoa harbour and is buried there along with 14 other crew.

We had time to visit the Palazzo Reale and enjoyed a guided tour round the magnificently decorated state rooms before catching the train back to Levanto.

A fitting end to our Italian Grand Tour, the rest now is travelling home.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb