Ravenna


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
May 20th 2008
Published: May 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

20 May 2008

We made an early start in the pouring rain with full waterproof gear in order to beat the coach parties. But we snuck in with the first group at the Mausoleum of Galla Placidia and got a free English speaking guide.

In order to reach the Cathedral Baptistery we had to detour round huge puddles. At the time that it was built total immersion was practiced and a huge font occupies most of the floor. A well earned coffee break at a popular café was followed by a visit to the Archiepiscopal Museum, most of which was closed for restoration. Sadly we were not able to see the mosaic of Christ dressed as a Roman Centurion as this section was closed for restoration, but we did see a rare carved ivory throne and some mosaic fragments which allowed Wendy to see the detail.

Then on to St Apollinare Nuovo. With its large windows, the many mosaics were easier to appreciate in the good light. Groups came and went as we slowly moved from scene to scene.

After lunch we had a quick look at the plain granite Theodoric’s Mausoleum whose roof is made of one piece of stone weighing 300 tons.

We then drove to Classe 6k outside the city to visit St Appolinare in Classe. In this large and beautifully proportioned church, the mosaics were confined to the apse surrounding the alter. The impressive background included rocks, trees, flowers and birds from the local area.

In the company of several other vans we spent the night on the adjacent car park which has basic facilities.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.305s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb