Around Matera


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
May 13th 2008
Published: May 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

13 May 2008

A leisurely start to the day and a wonderful hot shower. We wanted to see the sassi of Matera from the other side of the ravine and were given directions by the friendly campsite owner. We were not disappointed with the views but the weather could have been kinder. Thankfully there were no school parties but we could hear them touring the sassi.

Over lunch we had a change of plan and decided to do a circular tour and return to the camper stop in order to sample the local cuisine.

We headed across the limestone plateau to the Gravina di Laterza, a wild ravine with beautiful shrubs and flowers. We were fortunate to see the kites soaring overhead and Roger was able to pick out the nest site on the opposite side of the ravine. We were the only people there. The area reminded us of the Derbyshire dales but on a llarger and wilder scale. As we were leaving a young man arrived who explained he was the vigilante.

We then made our way to Montescaglioso but found parking in this hilltop town impossible so had to be content with the magnificent views over the surrounding countryside.

We ended the day with an excellent meal chosen by the owner - a lamb and potato stew, two types of pasta and three different desserts served with much humour, we think by the father of the family.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0184s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb