Segesta and Erice


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
April 30th 2008
Published: May 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

30 April 2008

We woke to the hottest day yet and decided to head inland to see a virtually complete but unfinished Greek Temple - rough unfluted columns and undecorated capitals - at Segesta. The position was inspiring and the temple magnificent. Given the temperature, we made use of the coach to take us up to the summit of another hill where the star attraction was a Greek limestone amphitheatre with stunning views over the surrounding countryside. We walked back down through an amazing variety of wild flowers, carpets of orange, purple, blue and yellow with the odd touch of white.

After a very late lunch we headed for Trapani in order to take the telecabine, strange without skis, up to the ancient city of Erice. It was occupied by many different civilizations including the Greeks, the Romans, the Moors and the Normans. The views were amazing but sadly it was not clear enough to see Tunisia.

We followed the Rough Guideā€™s advice and treated ourselves to some luscious cakes at Pasticceria Maria Grammatico.

Camp sites being in short supply and having a late return from Erice, we stayed overnight on the telecabine car park.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.559s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.2604s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb