Amalfi


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
April 18th 2008
Published: April 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

18 April 2008

We woke to the sound of rain but this did not deter us from our plan to visit Amalfi. The local bus service took us to the station where we boarded the bus. A short while after driving through Sorrento we started to climb rapidly and were soon in the mist. Our skilful driver coped with the twists and turns and his use of the horn indicated that he knew all the blind corners. Our first sight of the Amalfi coast was breathtaking. We enjoyed the next hour above the spectacular cliffs.

In need of fresh air we had a brisk walk on the stone breakwater before the rain drove us in search of coffee. We then explored some of the steep and narrow streets before visiting the Duomo dedicated to St Andrew including its tranquil cloister and fascinating museum.

Then it was time for lunch and once again the Rough Guide came up trumps with its recommendation of A’Paranza in the village of Atrani. The waiter helped us choose an excellent meal of home made pasta and local sea food. Just as we were leaving we met a couple of New Yorkers and enjoyed 10 minutes talking about a visit to New York and our shared interest in skiing.

After lunch we decided to catch the bus up to Ravello in the hills above Amalphi but unfortunately when we got there couldn’t see the view down to the coast due to the low cloud. We ere amazed to come across an Irish wedding party and later met the bride and her maids walking up the stepped street. She must have been disappointed at the lack of sunshine. As the bus left we had a brief glimpse of the famed view.

On our return to Sorrento the sun shone and we found a cruise ship anchored in the bay. We hope for better weather tomorrow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.055s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb