Versuvius


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
April 13th 2008
Published: April 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

13 April 2008

On a sunny morning we left Sperlonga to continue our journey south to Pompeii. After driving through Naples, we left the autostrata and the van added to its list of ascents by making light work of the drive up the 1,000m to the car park just below the summit of the only active volcano on mainland Europe, Vesuvius. The car park was full but one of the stallholders found us a place by the side of the road and for a 5€ tip looked after the van while we walked up to the rim of the crater.

A charge is made to visit the rim and it looked as though the path up through the lava cone has been recently widened and new fencing erected. Versuvius overlooks Naples, last erupted in 1944 and another eruption is not expected in the near future. However the crater is surprisingly large and deep with steam seeping out of rock fissures in several places. Certainly a sight unlike anything we have seen before.

The walk down was easily accomplished, although now very crowded as several coach trips had arrived. We made the short drive to Pompeii and have found a pleasant campsite right outside the entrance to the roman town which we plan to visit tomorrow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0208s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb