The Beautiful Isle of Capri


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
August 20th 2005
Published: October 9th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We took a ferry across to the Isle of Capri - it only took one hour or so, there weren’t enough seats so we laid on the deck and soaked up some sun…

We then boarded another boat and headed off to see the Blue Grotto - it’s insane, you pay €8.50 and you get into a row boat from the motor boat we were in, with three other people and you lay completely down and at the right second between the surges you get pushed through the small hole in the rock face into the blue grotto. We watched several people before us and were wondering how often they smash the small row boat off the rocks hurting someone!!! There is a chain the guy that rows the boat pulls on the way through the whole to keep the boat straight and you have to make sure that it doesn’t take your head off!! Inside it is so beautiful… a cave naturally lite bight lube - people jumped in and swam around, it was deadly hot in the cave though, we only stayed in for a minute or two then back out through the hole again.

The weather was sensational and we floated along in our big boat, we saw the white grotto and then we headed to the green grotto where we were supposed to swim through a cave and the boat was to pick us up on the other side. It was so beautiful!!! The cave had the most amazing green/aqua waters I’ve ever seen, I couldn’t believe it or that water could be nice enough to make me want to go in my bikinis and jump off the side of the boat!! But I did. The water was great but sooo salty it burns your eyes straight away if it touches them.

The trip away so far has made me think about what I really want and about moving overseas and continuing to travel, I’ve been thinking maybe I don’t need more than I already have right now…Weird how travelling starts changing the way that you think and feel about stuff… will try and not think about it now, and give it some more thought when I get back home…

We were getting ready to leave Sorrento so went to look for some lunch in an area which I’m pretty sure only gets locals through as they seemed pretty unamused about us being there… we sat down outside one restaurant only to be told that we couldn’t sit there and that they didn’t have any food!!

We haven’t been very impressed by this side of Italy… even our hotel owners were stingy and horrible. When we first arrived they read us the ‘rules’ before we could even get our keys to go to our rooms. They wouldn’t turn the air con on until 6pm and it was bloody boiling in the rooms! And you had to have your room personally turned on, which they made seem like a big ask…. I wanted to make a phone call and asked how and the man swore at me and hung up!

After all of that we gladly got back on the coach for a lazy 6hr drive to our ferry to take us to ‘The Greece’ as Arty would say!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Going out of the Blue GrottoGoing out of the Blue Grotto
Going out of the Blue Grotto

You have to lay down and hope the row boat guys get the surge timing right!!


Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb