Day Eighteen, Friday


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
August 3rd 2007
Published: August 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Friday 3rd August
Day Eighteen,

It was a grey start to the day so we decided to move on to Venice. After a short drive complete with spells of rain and a camera crew asking us about our journey we arrived at our peaceful site in Oriago, just outside of Venice.

By the time we had pitched up and enjoyed a late lunch it was 3:30. We realised it would be perfect timing to go straight into Venice- cool but sunny and we'd see day, evening and night!

We took the bus from outside the site to the central station where we got a waterbus up the Grand Canal.

Our first stop took us past the Venice Casino to the Jewish Ghettos. Here people were speaking Hebrew, the houses had many floors with low ceilings from when the ghetto was full, there were fun touristy shops and of course synagogues dotted the corners.

We then used the waterbuses like a tour ride, traveling round the lagoon and along the Grand Canal.

Pulling into San Marco Piazza we recognised the scene from James Bond! The square was very atmospheric and impressive with wonderful architecture and live music playing from cafés.

We boarded the ferry again to see the Rialto Bridge. From here we wandered the lanes back to those behind San Marco. We had dinner outside, wedged between other tables and enjoying the Venetian ambiance. We tried more local foods, talked to a Brazilian couple one side of us and American father and son the other, and were charged extensively for wine and supplements!

We headed back to San Marco square where we were treated to a wonderful performance from a café's talented and fun ensemble.

Complementing the fantastic scenes we had seen in the day, we caught a ferry back to the station in the dark of night. Venice looked magical in this light.

We caught a midnight bus back, relieved to find our way!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb