Venice day 2


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto
May 17th 2017
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 45.4318, 12.3333

We started the day with a fine breakfast on the terrace overlooking the Grand Canal and St Mary's Basilica. Then a glass blowing and sculpting demonstration in the Vecchia Murano, a venue that we remembered visiting the last time we were in Venice.

Up the Campanile for some panoramic views and pics. Then a walk around followed by a gondola ride and the farewell dinner.

Tomorrow we train to Florence for our week's return home exchange.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Breakfast on the terraceBreakfast on the terrace
Breakfast on the terrace

Our hotels have been excellent but the food in their restaurants has been below par. I have become attached to my two glasses of prosecco and OJ each morning.
Campanile view towards St Mary'sCampanile view towards St Mary's
Campanile view towards St Mary's

According to Tina her last tour was compromised by rain and bad weather. Only our day at Lake Maggiore was rainy, otherwise we've been very lucky with the weather. Funny that we could not see a single canal from up here.
Surprising streetscapeSurprising streetscape
Surprising streetscape

Venice is not all buildings crowding over narrow canals. This section along the Grand Canal was leafy and spacious.
Gondolas Gondolas
Gondolas

We took a ride along the Grand Canal then a path through some narrow canals. In quiet waters the big guy at the front stood and sang, accompanied by the accordion player. There was a time when the oarsmen serenaded their passengers, now it's an added extra. It felt too touristy and contrived. But, put a tick on that experience.


26th May 2017

We had a similar experience on Lake Como when a group of 30-40 people joined our boat, with food and drink in which we shared. Then the men choristers climbed to the top deck and regaled us for about an hour! And they were good.

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb