UNESCO City of Vicenza


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Vicenza
June 28th 2003
Published: November 24th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Villa Rotunda by PaladioVilla Rotunda by PaladioVilla Rotunda by Paladio

The perfect form of the villa. Minus the scaffoldings.
I’ve always been interested in UNESCO sites all around the world after visiting the Borobudur Temple in Indonesia several years back. I was thrilled to learn that one of the UNESCO sites protected in Italy, apart from Roman Forum and others, is the town of Vicenza. Vicenza is the home of Palladian architecture, which defines the classic Italian Reneissance architecture in late fourteenth century.


Paladio’s nest

Andrea Paladio (1508-1580) contributed most of the cultures we experienced in town of Vicenza, including the world famous Paladio’s Villa Rotunda (c. 1571) in outskirt of Vicenza, which was perfectly shaped and symmetrical from all angles. From the inside, the villa felt more aesthetic than functional to my modern standard, but I could imagine aristocrat people back in the fourteenth century lived in the villa. Everything was perfectly designed with symmetry and frescoed so vivid and colorful. Although we couldn’t take any pictures inside the villa, but of course we managed to snap a picture or two of the frescoes. My friend Arphan took many pictures of the villa details before the villa's groundskeeper yelled at him, which was echoed throughout the villa’s rooms.

From the outside, it was weird to
Getting comfortableGetting comfortableGetting comfortable

Macy and I are getting comfortable in our seats with the Villa Rotunda by Palladio in the background. And I'm reading the Harry Potter 5.
see how the villa sits in the middle of nowhere but cornfields. It felt like home of Iowa, surrounded by cornfields once again. We posed so many different styles with the villa, which most of them turned out to be stupid pictures.


The place is nicely situated and one of the loveliest and most charming that one could hope to find; for it lies on the slopes of a hill, which is very easy to reach. The loveliest hills are arranged around it, which afford a view into an immense theatre. . .; because one takes pleasure in the beautiful view on all four sides, loggias were built on all four facades.



- Andrea Palladio, translated from Quatro Libri del'Architectura


The town center of Vicenza reflects the elegant but yet simple life style in the 1500s. Many limestone and marble structures designed by Palladio, aligning along the streets of Vicenza. Another famous site by Palladio is the Teatro Olimpico (c. 1584), where he played with fake perspectives and theatrical effect to create the stage theatrical performances. It seemed that Palladio referred many Greek terminologies in his design.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Da villuhDa villuh
Da villuh

A closer angle of the Villa Rotunda.
Inside Villa RotundaInside Villa Rotunda
Inside Villa Rotunda

The amazing frescoes inside the villa, before we get yelled at because we were taking pictures in prohibited areas (which is all inside the villa).
Palladian stylePalladian style
Palladian style

A corner of Palladian style architecture.
Teatro OlimpicoTeatro Olimpico
Teatro Olimpico

The entrance of Teatro Olimpico, looking out.
Inside Teatro OlimpicoInside Teatro Olimpico
Inside Teatro Olimpico

A picture of a poster of inside Teatro Olimpico.
Fake perspectiveFake perspective
Fake perspective

Stage of the Teatro Olimpico, with a fake perspective to create a deeper distance.
Mr. PalladioMr. Palladio
Mr. Palladio

Me with Mr. Palladio, the architect of the city.


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb