Verona


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Verona
May 17th 2011
Published: May 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

What exciting times we are having. The last few days have really added to the excitment of Annie's engagment. Arrived in Venice on 14 May and after a false start and only one u-turn (which those of you who know Adrienne will understand has now become a major hiccough ending in disaster) we arrived at our lovely little botique hotel not far from the Accademia Bridge.

Sunday it poured and poured with rain, was windy and cold. We spent the day getting lost and soaked but still enjoyed ourselves. The Italians have such style our eyes were nearly popping out of our heads. We visited St Marks Square and Church Museum in the upper reaches. Were able to hear, and see if perched on tip-toes, a service which appeared to be a confirmation with little children all dressed in white with a garlnad of white flowers on the heads of the girls. The music was wonderful. The church bells ringing out all over the place - in marked contrast to the traffice noises experienced in Istanbul. Did all the tourisy things - Rialto Bridge, Museum of Music , Peggy Guggenheim's collection. I bought a pair of shoes. Ate lunch IN a supermarket. Bought bananas, water and tonic (for the gin we bought duty free at Istanbul airport). Had first Italian cappuchino.

Monday - went up the bell tower - would have climbed but we had to go by lift!
Did Doge' Palace - armoury and prison most striking. Unfortunately Bridge of Sighs under restoration.
Caught vaporetto to Murano and Burano. Nicola - have to agree the latter was way more pleasurable. (Saw a gorgeous little dress which would be ideal for a bridesmaid but resisted buying it pending some consultation with bride-to-be!!!)
By this time just about exhausted and so decided to head home for a gin. Once Ad got a hint that this was the plan she sped up like the horse bolting for home and I had to run to keep up with her!
Incidentally bought a small pizza in Burano for lunch which we were to share and they charged us 2 Euro just to cut it in half!
Had a lovely dinner out to end the day - very pleased with ourselves for managing such a great day

Today Venice to Verona
Found 'Rick Steve's Tourist Guide' and he has become our best friend.
Trip up Grand Canal to airport. Train Venice to Verona - 1 hour - great. Bus from station to Piazza Bra great - no charge because we didn't know how to use the pay machine and were told to "just get on and go". Walked to hotel which we found with no problems, by good luck I must add. I had put my pearls on this morning in the hope of not looking like a Kiwi backpacker and when we arrived we were offered an upgrade to a superior room which is just fabulous. Armchairs, bidet, garden view. Sure it was the pearls that clinched the deal!
Walked around Verona under Rick Steve,s guidance and saw all the best spots. Ad is out shopping at the moment then showers and tidy up before we go out for dinner.

Intend heading to one of the Lakes tomorrow - one hour by bus.

Pleased to see the Queen has been to Ireland today -what an historic occasion.

D & D - have had to buy a new memory stick for my camera you will be pleased to hear! Photo opportunities everywhere.

Pete, Sam, Tim, Anna, Nicola and Herbert family - have bought a European sim card. Number is 342 316 0092. Goodness knows what international /city codes are, or are not needed, before it. Just to use in case of emergency.

Ben - not sure if I will be able to contact you on 20th but will certainly be thinking of you on this big birthday. Have a great day and best wishes for good health and happiness for many many many years ahead. (Sorry no sox coming your way!) Auntie Liz

Arriverderci e grazie
Love - Liz and Ad





Advertisement



17th May 2011

Blog
Morning girls... Liz, just loving your updates -- what a talent you have, maybe you should consider becoming a travel writer! I don't have the Press delivered anymore so it makes my day when I check my laptop while having my breakfast and find a "blog" to be read. All good here, on countdown for the arrival of Juliet & Molly next Wed. I have managed to get the Thurs. off which means I will be able to look after Molly while Ju goes to a couple of meetings--what a chore that will be!!! So pleased you are both having so much fun, take care. love GG

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb