Another lovestruck Romeo...


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Verona
December 5th 2007
Published: December 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ponte di RialtoPonte di RialtoPonte di Rialto

The most famous bridge in Venice.
I'm falling in love, dear reader ... with Italy! Verona is the city of romance, and the setting for Shakespeare's immortal Romeo and Juliette. A typically gorgeous Italian city proved the perfect backdrop for Shakespeare, and the inspiration the great man derived from the city continues to inspire modern day travellers. Verona is another impressive feather in the cap for Italy, a country that's up there with the world's great travel destinations!

Verona is the last stop on my visit to Italy, and to recap from the previous journal we left off in San Marino. From the fortified city atop a mountain I road a bus back to Rimini, and then caught a train to Bologna for an overnight stay. When visiting Italy culinary experts recommend a visit to this gastronomical capital if you get a chance, as Bologna has acquired world wide fame as the home of the legendary bolognese sauce. I checked into a B&B near the station, and then ventured out to a restaurant in the square. As predicted in the guidebook my meal was fabulous, on this occasion opting for a scrumptious tagliatelli bolognese. Bologna is also home to the legendary Ducati motorcycle factory, and in
Venice, ItalyVenice, ItalyVenice, Italy

Exploring the backstreets off the Piazza San Marco.
the Moto GP world championship held this year our very own Casey Stoner was the victorious Ducati rider, and the recently crowned world champion.

From Bologna I caught another train to Venice. The world famous city plays host to twenty million visitors a year without sinking, and paying a visit to this magnificent city is a magical experience. From the moment a traveller walks out of the train station one begins the transition in to another world. Yes indeed, Venice stands out as a truly extraordinary city and a unique travel destination! I caught the ferry No 1 down the grand canal to the Rialto bridge, from where it's an easy walk to the centrally located and recommended B&B Rota hostel.

Venice is pure magic and the whole world is familiar with her charms, but I'd like to add a few personal impressions gained from my visit to this marvelous city. Firstly, it's true visitors will get lost while walking through the maze like streets and canals of Venice, but as long as you keep a general sense of direction it's actually quite easy to find your way around. The famous piazza San Marco is the focal point
Gondolier in VeniceGondolier in VeniceGondolier in Venice

This was the only gondolier still in his summer shirt without a jacket. Must be a hard man!
of Venice, and set in a magnificent square. The highlight is the spectacular San Marco basilica. However, the real joy of Venice is not just to be found exploring the square, it comes from exploring the endless alleyways that help to make this city so unforgettable. Apparently the gondoliers charge seventy euros for the experience, but the price certainly doesn't deter tourists from heading out along the grand canal.

From Venice I caught a train for the two hour journey to Verona. I met a South Korean girl on the train, and we went to the superb Ostello Villa Francescatti together. This hostel is in a 16th century villa with it's own vast garden grounds, and is well worth a visit. After checking in we dropped off our bags, and headed out to explore the city for the afternoon. Verona is a revelation, and the city is just as gorgeous to walk around as Florence or Venice. The central plaza is stylish, and close to the square is the fictional home of Juliette, including the famous balcony and a statue of her in the courtyard garden. The house has become somewhat of a pilgrimage on the traveller's road nowadays, and legend has it that if you rub the right breast of Juliette's statue you will acquire a new lover, so we posed for the obligatory photos in a rare quiet moment before another large group arrived. If nothing else, at the least your wandering Romeo helped to keep her breast nice and shiny!

So reluctantly my first visit to Italy is drawing to a close. My first visit to this wonderful country leave me almost at a loss for words. Italy showcases an incredible history stretching back over 2,500 years, and the sense of style and fashion exhibited by modern day Italians consistently leaves me gobsmacked. In fact Italians are so stylish it's difficult not to feel overawed in their presence! The food is divine and the Italian cities are as beautiful as can be found anywhere in the world. Italy really does come close to being the complete package, although I note the hostel industry is not as sophisticated or developed as I expected from such a famous travel destination.

But the European adventures for your resident travel writer roll on, as I head north towards the Alps and what I anticipate to be some appreciably
Juliette's statue, VeronaJuliette's statue, VeronaJuliette's statue, Verona

Legend has it that rubbing her right breast brings a new lover.
colder weather. It's with a heavy heart that I bid a fond ciao to Italy, an unforgettable travel destination that is also the birthplace of western civilisation. Tourists have been flocking to Italy for over 2,500 years and, basically all of you should be here now!


What was leadership, after all, but the blind choice of one route over another and the confident pretence that the decision was based on reason?" Robert Harris, Pompeii


As I continue my travels, until next time it's signing off for now

Tom

Note: Feel free to post comments on this site, or click on the subscribe button for notification of upcoming travel journals


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Detail from Verona squareDetail from Verona square
Detail from Verona square

This restaurant occupies a beautiful building within central Verona.
Juliette's balconyJuliette's balcony
Juliette's balcony

O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?


Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.057s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb