Day 6 - a night at the opera (part 1)


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Verona
August 2nd 2019
Published: August 3rd 2019
Edit Blog Post

The breakfast at the hotel is amazing - so much food and choice that keeps being replenished. It certainly sets you up for day.

The four of us decided to head across Ponte Pietra to the Castel San Pietro, a high point which offers a view across the city of Verona. We headed from the hotel to pass the Arena di Verona enroute, however we were sidetracking by buying a couple of shirts, ties and a scarf on route from a wonderful shop with its origins in Milan. The shop staff were brilliant and prepared the shirt for me to try it on - never had such service in the UK.

Once purchases had been made, we continued on our journey to our original destination, we decided to stop for a pitstop, which was lucky as the heavens opened. Two drinks later, the rain had stopped and we managed to reach our destination, which did indeed offer a great view across the city.

From there we discovered the castle and it’s crenellated bridge - again briefly stopping for a drop of rain to pass. Our final call was to the Duomo, however a wrong turning was taken and we had to back track sadly - taking refuge under some canopy we were able to see a storm at close quarters (thunder and lightning included) watching poor people looking drenched. I was wearing flip-flops, which are not ideal in these conditions. Once the storm continued, we headed back to the hotel for 2 of the 4 to get ready for opera.

Entering the arena was spectacular and we had a fantastic view of the stage as we were in the stalls area. The girl with the gong indicated that the opera was soon to start and always got a enthusiastic round of applause each time. The stage as you may imagine was huge and the sets certainly filled the space. Half an hour after starting, the rain started which means that everything stops to avoid damage to instruments of the orchestra. However after around half an hour we carried on. The performance was breathtaking and the number of singers, animals etc on stage is unbelievable. The acoustics were surprisingly good as even the very quiet singing could be heard. Bizet‘s Carmen finished just after midnight. I am really looking forward to tomorrows performance.

Meant to say no pizza today!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



4th August 2019

No pizza!!
It sounds amazing and loving the blog! Is it easy to set up? I would really like to do it for my trip.
4th August 2019

It was so easy on this site

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb