The Grandest of canals


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
October 14th 2012
Published: October 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

It was a bit of a dramatic start to our 1stwedding anniversary long weekend when upon arriving into Croydon we discovered because of a person under the train at Gatwick there was no way of getting there by rail. After only a 10-15min wait we were soon taxi sharing with some South African’s and heading towards Gatwick. We ended up arriving with more than enough time to enjoy a glass of wine before heading to Venice. Both Scott and I have been to Venice in the past, I was with a girl friend and Scott was in the camp ground. The hope was for a more romantic experience without any need to run around seeing all the big sites.

We didn’t arrive at our B&B until 1am or so and we arrived by the slowest water bus ever. The water taxi’s were very appealing, but not at €115. Our luxury B&B was in the heart of San Marco, equal distance from San Marco Square and the Rialto. We overlooked Campo Santo Stefano and were right next to the church with the same name. On Friday we got up to join a Hidden Venice tour only to find I had booked it for Thursday! They kindly allowed us to join on the Sunday instead. So on our first day we simply strolled around all the wonderful streets and alleys enjoying lunch on the campo before jumping on the Grand Canal once the sun came up. It is a spectacular dream like place. That evening after some rooftop prosecco we found a little pizza place on one of the other campo’s and enjoyed some alfresco dinning. Probably the last time we will experience that for a while. Saturday dawned nicely but we knew things would turn, so we headed out pretty early. We joined the masses heading to or from San Marco. It was pretty funny watching the Chinese tourist get whacked on the head by the gondola pole as he was moving around trying to get a photo and running the risk of capsizing the vessel. We had a little gondola ride across the mouth of the Grand Canal, for the bargain basement price of €2 each, sweeeeet. It was awesome being out on the water and we were rather surprised at how busy the canals were. For most of the morning we wandered the streets of Dorsoduro, then back into the Rialto area and Castello. As the rain started to fall we found the best cosy little Osteria you could hope for and settled in for a long delicious lunch antipasti, seafood pasta and regional wine. Back at the hotel we enjoyed more of the complementary prosecco before heading out for dinner at a place we just managed to book at, the table was 9.30pm. On the way we attempted to find a bar but a little like Rome we struggled and ended up in an Irish bar. Our meal was fantastic; it was a tiny place only sitting 25, amazing pasta, fish and dessert ... and of course regional wine. Our last day entailed more of the same; strolling and eating. The water was really high and there was some flooding, they were putting the boards in place as it was expected to get worse on Monday. The flooding is fairly common and part of regular life, well so our guide told us on the walk we did. We learnt a couple of interesting titbits about the city. Like how shallow the lagoon is in places, how they build the houses and where the prostitutes used to show their wares (Ponte de le Tette). After one last meal canal side we were back on the slowest water bus ever. But not before spotting James Cordon filming his new movie on the Grand Canal. Venice thank you for such a lovely relaxing weekend!
PHOTOS

Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0693s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb