Milan to Venezia...


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
September 21st 2012
Published: September 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Big, big day....wide awake at 4am, breakfast at 6.30 (as soon as the breakfast place opened ) then out on the streets. First stop...the local train station to speed our travels up a but more as our train to Venice leaves at 2pm. The public train system here is amazing. So simple and cheap at €3 each for the entire day.

The highlight of the day would have to be the Milan Cathedral. A truly stunning building on the outside and amazingly eerie on the inside. The rest of the morning was spent wandering around and checking out the sights...several of which had been taken over for the Milan fashion week. More beautiful tall people!!!

With lots of boxes ticked in Milan, it was time to move on, after just one day, to our next destination, Venice....which brings us to the first train portion of our adventure.

Venice seems to be even crazier than Milan. So many people, including us, with bags on wheels being dragged behind them on the cobbled streets. I now can see a point to the good'ol backpack. With minimal directions at hand, we must have looked a sorry sight as a tiny Venitian man took pity on us and offered to help. Even to the point of speaking to our hotel on my phone. Thank goodness for technology! Two more bridges and we finally found our hotel. Even Wiki says one of the top 10 things to do in Venice is to get lost. Tick! They probably don't me with your bags and in the first 10 mins of arriving.

After dumping our bags we headed out to check out our surroundings and find some of the local cuisine, seafood, and a stroll the streets.

Day 2 in Venice - up not as early on previous days, jet lag fading, we headed off to tackle transportation with a twist, waterboats. Similar to the usual bus and train tickets, yet somewhat $$$$ when there is only really one mode of transport. Our first stop, and main stop for the day, is Saint Marks square. After getting lost again (tick) we finally found the square and St Marks Basilica. Finding the line to get in to the Basilica out the door and around the corner I dragged poor Marcus around the square looking at all the beautiful shops. Seeing $$$$ in my eyes...we go for lunch. It's midday somewhere. The basilica is beautiful, but the inside is not nearly as amazing as the outside.

We end the day with a trip to the opera to see La Triviata. With voices that leave you breathless and your ears ringing. Exhausted, we end the day with a gelati and boat ride home.

Day 3 - Venice to Rome, with only half a day left in Venice we visited the Douge's palace and had a Gondala ride, an absolute must when in Venice.

Next stop Rome. Pictures to follow....interwsilo having technical difficulties

Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 6; ; mem: 1.1mb