Venice to Rome Aug, 2008


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
July 19th 2012
Published: July 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Ryanair B737-800 Ryanair B737-800 Ryanair B737-800

Our flight...
Part 1... Aug 8th Arrival Venice

We flew Ryanair from Liverpool to Venice Treviso then caught a shuttle bus into Venice - then a ACTV vaporetto waterbus to our hotel's nearest stop which was a short walk away. It was exciting to be in Venice, our senses were alive with the buzz of the place. The vaporetto was a fun experience, hot, crowded and noisy but efficient. Naturally we wanted to check in before setting off on foot for our first proper explore of this unique city.

Our hotel the Pausania was welcoming and quaint in terracotta with a internal square staircase leading up to our room on the first floor, after a quick unpack we were off on foot to explore.

Venice is a complex system of walkways, piazzas and waterways. Often you can't see very far and initially one feels it would be easy to get lost in its mazes but that soon passes as you become brave and just begin to enjoy navigating your way around.

It was generally fairly busy but far from crowded. After a good look-see we began to make our way back to our cool oasis when we
Hotel PausaniaHotel PausaniaHotel Pausania

Our hotel for two nights in Venice
overheated – I had an umbrella a trick I learned from the Chinese in Hong Kong and offered it to Tracey so she could have some shade. Just as we felt we couldn’t go on any further we found a busy little café where we took refuge and had a refreshing chilled drink. We then completed our short walk back to the hotel. Nights are quiet with no street traffic noise!

Aug 9th Venice

A full day to explore we did a lot of walking and taking photos. We found ourselves at the Piazza San Marco and as we were tired we wondered what we could do to have some rest yet still not miss anything… We found a ferry to Burano!

We sat right in front and after casting off we were on our way, not fully understanding where we were going or even how long the trip was! It was just what we needed to escape the heat shimmering concrete of Venice, now we had a breeze and we were sitting comfortably. After a pleasant trip with a couple of stops we arrived into Burano and off we hopped with renewed energy and excitement.
Hotel PausaniaHotel PausaniaHotel Pausania

Our hotel for two nights in Venice

Burano is very cute and it doesn’t take long to have a good look around. It’s like a toy-town Venice but with vibrant colour. We found a super restaurant and we were pleased they didn’t believe in fast food or quick service. It was lovely to sit and enjoy the ambience with a chilled drink and tasty food.

We caught the return ferry and alighted at a different stop which would allow us to walk across much of Venice that we hadn’t yet seen. I suppose most have to try a romantic Gondola trip – and we did although I must say it’s very over-rated and hugely over-priced, better to sit with a beer and watch them glide bye with someone else picking up the tab. We were happy to get back to our hotel to chillax and shower before a enjoying an expensive meal next to the Rialto Bridge.

Aug 10th Leaving Venice

Departure day… we had a slow start and a small walk out to see our cruise ship awaiting our arrival. Later we made our way to the terminal and then we were allowed to walk towards the Wind Surf… Wow we couldn’t wait
GondolaGondolaGondola

a typical scene
to get on board the excitement was amazing! Then up the gangway and we were ushered into the lounge to formally check in and be assigned our cabin.

We unpacked and then had to muster for lifeboat drill we were assigned lifeboat #5 – after the drill we took up position on the port-side aft pool deck so as to be ready to enjoy Venice as we set sail late afternoon. We positioned two sun-loungers by the rail and ordered a couple of beers. We soon discovered that it was tradition to play Vangelis “Conquest of Paradise 1492” as we leave port… That track has always been a favourite of mine and now it was immortalised forever in my heart, great choice of music!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

VeniceVenice
Venice

This has been done with a canvas texture added
GondolaGondola
Gondola

Next to the Rialto Bridge
RomanceRomance
Romance

A chic couple
GondolaGondola
Gondola

a very typical view by Piazza San Marco
MasksMasks
Masks

Just about everywhere you'll see masks for sale
Ferry to BuranoFerry to Burano
Ferry to Burano

Our trip to the island of Burano
BuranoBurano
Burano

Burano is a must do trip from Venice, a very laid back feeling after the bustle of Venice
VaporettoVaporetto
Vaporetto

The busy water buses provide the other method of affordable travel apart from by foot
The Wind SurfThe Wind Surf
The Wind Surf

As we walk toward the Wind Surf our excitement begins to mount as we look forward to the next part of the adventure
The aft pool deckThe aft pool deck
The aft pool deck

Where we spent sometime every day enjoying the peace and quiet and good weather
Goodbye Venice from the Wind SurfGoodbye Venice from the Wind Surf
Goodbye Venice from the Wind Surf

The view as we sail out from Venice into the Adriatic


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb