Monday 28th February to Sunday 6th March 2011.


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
March 19th 2011
Published: March 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

2.3.2011 - Venice2.3.2011 - Venice2.3.2011 - Venice

Parade of Costumes

Monday 28th February 2011
Venezia
Up for our first breakfast at the hotel as the hotel price also included continental breakfeast.
After breakfast we just had a lazy morning in our rooms and finding out what we could do about the bus/ferry system into and in Venice etc.
We walked up to the city centre of Mestre, about 15mins away. Had a look around for a few hours. We purchased a Public Transport Ticket each for 7 days for €50 which included bus, ferry and tram. Much cheaper than day tickets which are €6 for 1 hour.
Also spent 1.5 hours in TIM trying to get the internet key to work. They couldn't fix it, so they suggested the computer shop. The computer shop said we might need to download and update the computer. We said we would come back later. We went back to the hotel and logged onto Megans computer OK, and ours looked like we already had the required program. The computer shop said that as we have had so many dongals, the programs don't totally get removed when you unistall them, so it modifies the computer each time for themselves and in the end it stuffs up the computer. Great !!!

Tuesday 1st March 2011
Venezia
Bus stop was only 20 metres from the hotel, so into Venice we head, along with thousands of others. Bus ended up driving past the bus stops as we were full to the brim. Carnivale is a very busy time here.
The weather cold and windy.
We get out at the main bus terminal at Piazzale Roma and followed the signs to Piazza San Marco and to the Tourist Information Office. Obviously stopping along the way to look into the shops and at all the other sights.
All around the Piazza, there are professional people dressed up in costume parading around for the tourists. Fantastic costumes. They are always being stopped and photographed either on their own or with a tourist.
Back to Mestre. Tom back to hotel. The girls go shopping.
Dinner in the van.

Wednesday 2nd March 2011
Venezia
We wake up and it looks like rain but no - it's starts to snow. A lovely sight from our hotel window, but us girls are thinking of how cold it will be. Down to breakfast and sitting looking out to the garden and the snow is getting heavier but as the ground is warm it is melting as it hits the ground. Very pretty sight.
Into Venezia, looking around, tourist office to book a show. Brrrr.
We found a small glassware shop and Megan falls in love with tulips in different colours and sizes.
Had a bite to eat at a small cafe and then headed off on the ferry to Murano - the island where all the glass blowing is. There a spruikers waiting for you as you get off the ferry guiding you to their factory. We watch the glass blowing and went into the shop attached. It is freezing cold so off to a coffee shop to warm up, then wandered along looking into the shops - lots of shops. Small items from €5 to huge chandeliers worth thousands of €. Some were OK, but most were over the top. Ended up buying some nice things. Walk around a bit more and had another coffee to warm up and onto ferry back to Venezia and another boat back to the bus terminal and then back to the hotel.
We realized that we left the umbrella somewhere on the island.
Dinner in the van.
2.3.2011 - Venice - Murano Island2.3.2011 - Venice - Murano Island2.3.2011 - Venice - Murano Island

A typical building seemingly precariously held up !!


Thursday 3rd March 2011.
Venezia
Tom off early to go to barber, chemist and post office as Megan is now posting her excess baggage to home. Tom finds a chemist. The chemist spoke to him in English and Tom told him about what we are doing in Italy. Lovely guy and very helpful and gave Tom directions to Post Office and barber. Lady in hairdresser is great and gives him directions to post office after his hair cut.

Now at the Post Office and Tom takes his ticket and waits his turn. His number comes up and he goes to counter. He explains he is Australian and can only speak a little Italian. Well, the lady in post office goes troppo. Tom appeals to other customers if they can help. A young girls comes forward to explain. The post office lady wants them all in one parcel - but Tom gets the girls to explain that they are going to different destinations in Australia. The post office lady was very rude and aggressive and told him via the young girl, that he should not come to Italy unless he can speak Italian, and pushed all the parcels aside and served the next customer - that did not go down very well - the thermometer exploded - Tom told her in good Australian style what she can do to herself - he packed up the parcels and came back to the hotel with all the parcels not posted and very flustered. It is the first time someone has spat at him in Italian that he needs to speak Italian and not English so vehemently. It is the worst experience he has ever had. It took him a day to wind down.
We know what she needed !!!!!

We get ready and go into Venezia. Into a restaurant for lunch. The lady in charge was from Lithuanian and Megan and her hit it off. We had a very nice meal and a great time.Then wander some more until the live show called 'Venezia' is to start at Theatre San Gallo. This is a live theatre show about the history of the city of Venezia. Very entertaining and informative. We were fortunate that it was performed in English (for tourists)and it had audio guides in other languages.
One thing all throughout Europe, we have noticed that people are allowed to take their dogs everywhere with them - on buses/trains, in cafes, in campsites. Well, we were astonished to see some people bring in their dog to the theatre. Lucky it was very well behaved. As we had booked dinner and show package, we headed off to 'Hard Rock Cafe' for dinner after the show. The dinner was an extra €10, so we didn't expect much. Well, as usual, Megan and the young waitress hit it off and we had a great time and plenty of food. At one point, Megs is talking to Tom and the waitress comes up to Megan's other side right next to her ear. Megan sees Tom looking strange and so turns around and is startled, drops the 'f' bomb and spills her drink - we are all in stitches laughing. Megs gets another drink provided. It was a great end to a full day.

Friday 4th March 2011
Venezia
Sleep in and a lazy morning. After lunch we head again into Venezia centre.
We head to the costume hire shop for our 6pm fittings. What we had organised did not eventuate. Tom's costume was too long in the legs and sleeves for him, so he changed to a gold outfit with black shoes with 50mm heels - (must do this more often even if still too short at 5'4") :-)
Megan's dress was also too long for her - so she went for her 3rd choice. A beautiful velvet emerald green dress - stunning.
Gaye's 1st choice had already been booked - so opted for another red dress.
While there, I (Gaye) chatted to a gentleman, who was collecting his costume. He had been watching Megan in her costume and made a comment to me that he was a film maker for tourism and was watching her and she was very photogenic.
The masks they had for hire were €40 each, way too much money - so opted to find one in the markets/shops for ourselves. Only Tom found one.
Headed back to hotel.
Too tired and cold to have dinner in the van, so Tom hops off bus one stop before hotel and gets chinese takeaway. Jogs home with dinner. Next 2 days his legs very sore. Needs to do more jogging. haha.

Saturday 5th March 2011
Venezia
We went into Venezia to keep looking around. Gaye and Megan both found their masks. Megan bought extras to take home. Gaye had to find a lace one that would go over her glasses. We went to the 'Rialto' area as we had not been there before. Very crowded with tourists for the Carnivale.

Sunday 6th March 2011
Venezia
Tom and I head into Venezia to collect our costumes at 10.30am and straight back to hotel. After lunch we all had a nanna nap to be ready for the long night ahead. Ball starts at 8pm.
Well we are dressed ready to go at 5pm. Took some photos in the foyer of hotel and Andrea calls a taxi for us to get to town. Off to the Piazza San Marco with all the rest of the crowd. We had a few people ask us if they could take our photos and of course we were most obliging. We headed into the famous restaurant 'Quadri' - very ritzy. Cafe downstairs and restaurant upstairs. The first cafe to serve Turkish coffee in Venezia. We headed to the cafe downstairs, as we only wanted a light snack to keep us going until dinner at the ball. Absolutely delicious.
We walked around some more and then took
5.3.2011 - Venice - Rialto Bridge5.3.2011 - Venice - Rialto Bridge5.3.2011 - Venice - Rialto Bridge

filled to capacity !!!
the ferry back to Rialto. From there we took the Gondola to the ball entry gate .
At our table, we met some lovely young English ladies, about the same age as Megan.
We also met up with the film maker that we had met when we were having our costume fittings. He had been doing some filming when we arrived and was trying to get a medieval theme for his film. We met up with him again at dinner time and later in the night after dinner downstairs on the dance floor area.
We danced until about 2.00am and then took a water taxi back to Piazzale Roma. We get a taxi back to the hotel about 2.45am.
A great night was had by all.



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

6.3.2011 - Venice - Rowing Team6.3.2011 - Venice - Rowing Team
6.3.2011 - Venice - Rowing Team

Pink Lionesses of Venice
6.3.2011 - Venice - Masquerade Ball6.3.2011 - Venice - Masquerade Ball
6.3.2011 - Venice - Masquerade Ball

At the 'Quadri' Cafe/Restaurant before going on to the Ball.
6.3.2011 - Venice - Masquerade Ball6.3.2011 - Venice - Masquerade Ball
6.3.2011 - Venice - Masquerade Ball

At the 'Quadri' Cafe/Restaurant before going on to the Ball.
6.3.2011 - Venice - Masquerade Ball6.3.2011 - Venice - Masquerade Ball
6.3.2011 - Venice - Masquerade Ball

Arriving in our Gondola at the Palazzo Pisani Moretta (Palace of Pisani Moretta)
6.3.2011 - Venice - Masquerade Ball6.3.2011 - Venice - Masquerade Ball
6.3.2011 - Venice - Masquerade Ball

Theme of the Ball - 'Because Life is Magic'
6.3.2011 - Venice - Masquerade Ball6.3.2011 - Venice - Masquerade Ball
6.3.2011 - Venice - Masquerade Ball

Some of the entertainment


Tot: 0.314s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0613s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb