Fabulous Friday


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
May 14th 2010
Published: May 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Cinque TerreCinque TerreCinque Terre

Allie, Amanda, and Nicole on the beach at Cinque Terre

Friday Class and Cinque Terre


Today we woke up early to start class so we could have the majority of the day to ourselves. Shaul gave a guest lecture on Shakespeare’s influences in Italy and specifically emphasized on the Merchant of Venice. The first half of the lecture Shaul discussed the history of Shakespeare in Italy and then continued to talk about the Merchant of Venice and Othello since they were both set in Venice. When the lecture was finished Alex, Amanda, Nicole, Hank and I rushed to the train station to get on our train to Cinque Terre.

The rest of the majority of the day consisted of traveling. We had to switch trains four times and at one point it the train was so crowded we had to stand for a while. We finally made it to Cinque Terre a little after six. The scenery was beautiful and the beach looked amazing as we walked through Cinque Terre trying to find or Hotel. When we reached the Hotel Souvenir the man at the front desk assured us that we were extremely lucky because we had our own private bathroom. Our room was small but comfortable. It had an A-frame roof with 5 beds lined up against the wall. We decided to push all the beds together to make one giant one, which reminded us of the 7 Dwarfs. We quickly changed our clothes and freshened up and went out in the town to find a restaurant. On the way we Amanda ran into Ciak who was a restaurant owner and knew her grandfather from previous years. Throughout the past years Amanda’s family has become friends with Ciak’s family and friends. The best friend of one of Ciak’s sons took us out to dinner right on the beach. Most of us ordered the amazing seafood that was locally caught off the coast.

After dinner we went to a place called the Fast Bar and mingled with some Italians. We decided to call it an early night because the next day we had plans to go hiking through all of Cinque Terre. Overall it was an extremely long day since we were traveling for half of it but we were excited to be in Cinque Terre.

-Allie

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb