Second Day in Venice


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
April 22nd 2009
Published: May 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Being so close to Venice, we slept in a bit this morning. The woman at the camp office had made some indication that breakfast could be bought, but it turned out to be merely a coffee machine. Evy and I bought two cappucinos each while Joshua and Benjamin made a breakfast of last night's left over pizza.

After taking the bus back into Venice, we checked a bag at the train station again and then caught the water bus to the island of Murano, famous for glass making. Travelling by water bus is quite novel and a great way to see the city and the lagoons leading to the other islands.

Once on Murano Island, we followed its main canal down for a way before taking a bridge over to some smaller streets. Here we went into a few of the glass stores and bought some small souvenirs.

One of the sites on the island is a museum of glass making, so we checked the map and headed off in search of it. Unfortunately, when we got there we discovered that it is closed on Wednesdays. Instead we found a large square just off the canal where we had our picnic lunch.

After lunch, we caught the water boat headed for St. Peters. At one of the stops on the island though, we saw a sign for glass making demonstrations and decided to get off there. After finding the store with the glass making demonstrations, we found that craftspeople where on “Spaghetti Break” and the next time to see this was a few hours off, so we took the boat back to St. Marks Square.

Joshua has been wanting to replace his Italy jacket that I got him a few years back and I want to get a gondola shirt for kayaking, so we did a bit of comparative souvenir shopping and bought these items as well as gelato ice creams to keep us going.

We passed through St. Marks Square one last time and took a few more photographs, this time from the far end of the square where the pigeons seem to congregate. A short ways off from here, we caught the water bus back to train station and, after picking up our checked bag, took the 5 pm train back to Codroipo where Giovanin kindly picked us up and drove us back to Flaibano.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0566s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb