Italy with Kids - Cavallino (Venice)


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
September 12th 2008
Published: September 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

8, 11, 12 Sept 2008

We spent Monday, Thursday and Friday enjoying the camping village. With its own pool, restaurant, gelati stand, shops, playgrounds, tabletennis and access to the beach we were pretty well catered for. We had fine sunny weather right up to midday on Friday so the kids spent a lot if time in the pool. I didn't take any photos. If you want to get an idea, checkout their website at http://www.baiaholiday.com/en/cavallino/presentazione/.

The beach was pretty empty, it being after the main holiday season. Postcards we looked at for the area show the beaches chock-a-block with beach umbrellas and people, and I'm thankful we weren't here for that!



Gelati were only €1.00 each, so we continued our investigation of flavours without restraint! The prices for the restaurant were excellent, being as cheap as the pizzerias in Rome but having full meals, no cover or service charges. We ate there "Ristorante Camping Cavallino" on Thursday night. Liam had a bowl of chips, Joseph "experimented" with Spaghetti Bolognese, Kylie had "Macaroni Quattro ai Formaggio", ie macaroni with four cheeses, while I went all out with grilled Gillfish with roasted potatoes. The fish was delicious, and both boys hung around long enough to eat everything as well as a breadstick, and they still had room for another gelati for dessert!

On Monday we took a short drive into Lido di Jesolo, a medium sized town/ industrial area to our east and checked out the “Laguna” shopping centre, where we bought some foodstuffs. I selected a range of beers to sample (of course). Interesting to shop at a supermarket at have beers and spirits alongside the fruit juices. Anyway, I had trouble selecting because not only was there the italian beers ("Birra"), but also german, french, dutch etc. While we were there Liam found a plastic soldier set for €3.00 which was an excellent purchase because he's been playing with it in the car and in between sessions on the computer.

On Friday I headed back into Venice on my own to have a look at the Doge's palace "Palazzo Ducale", as well as do some more mask and souvenir hunting in the alleyways. I reckon to really fill the experience of Venice, from us shopping - and arts and crafts minded types, we'd need a full week. So we'll add that to the itinerary for in around 12 years' time....




After a short rain shower on Friday afternoon the sun brought out some interesting lighting effects over the beach so I took some shots of that.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0729s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb