Venice Day Two. Doge's Palace/Bridge of Sighs


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
July 13th 2008
Published: July 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day two in Venice. Doge's Palace.
Today, our first full day in Venice, started with Kathy enjoying her coffee on the terrace overlooking the Grand Canal. This is the first cup she has had not in a train station in quite some time. Headed out to Pallazzo Ducale (Doge's Palace). The Doges ruled Venice for hundreds of years, and the palace, also the seat of government, is the most impressive seen so far. Almost devoid of furniture, the paintings on the walls, the ornate guilded ceilings and enormous carved fireplaces are impressive on their own. The largest painting in the world is also here. Initially intended to be about the resurrection of Jesus, it became an homage to the accomplishments of Venice, with over 500 faces.

We then had lunch and met some delightful people on a cruise from England. We meandered around some more but it is very hot today so decided to go for a cocktail. Will be in touch later on.

PLEASE MAKE SURE TO CHECK OLDER ENTRIES, SINCE WE HAVE ONLY JUST HAD A CHANCE TO LOAD SOME PICTURES AND WRITE SOME TEXT.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



14th July 2008

wow
hey!!!!! i had no idea you had this ongoing blog. what a great idea. i guess i'm out of the loop. i need to pay more attention. haha. i have alot of catching up to do..............have a wonderful time!!!!!

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb