Stop #1: A City on Water


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
April 14th 2008
Published: April 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I'm currently in the middle of my 2-week spring break, in which I decided to to do a quasi-tour of Europe. The first stop was Venice, Italy, where I met up with Rachel for the weekend (11 April to 14 April). We stayed in a rented-out apartment at Palazzo Rosa that, despite the ant colony in the bathroom (insert disgusting face), was gorgeous. It was in a great location, within walking distance to all the great places like the Rialto Bridge and Piazzo San Marco.

I already have a strong affinity for water, so I naturally enjoy going to places that are close to rivers or a coastline. Venice, however, was something I've never experience before. The canals and It's a very small city and completely pedestrian, you can walk from one end to the other in only about an hour, and has some of the most beautiful architecture and sites i've ever seen. The city also had a warm, comfortable feeling, despite being a huge tourist destination.

Venice also has a TON of shopping, everything from the usual tourist-related things to the high-end Venetian masks, Murano jewelry and sculptures, and even some interesting chess sets. A trip to Murano is a must for anyone visiting Venice, where we got to see a glass fornery and some crazy glass sculptures.

Overall, it was a pretty relaxing stay. We spent most of our time just exploring the city, eating Italian sandwiches, pizza, and pasta, and wishing we had just a little more time to hang around before leaving.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

KayakersKayakers
Kayakers

I just had to take a picture...


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.063s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb