Just Drive


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
August 22nd 2007
Published: September 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

This could possibly be our shortest blog to date, as all we really did today was DRIVE. We seem to do a lot of that on this tour, which is understandable, given the huge expanse of Europe - at least we still have a day to check out the sights.

I did have one highlight this morning, and that was trying out the beday in our bathroom. This feature is pretty much standard in Italian bathrooms by the sound of it, and I thought it was pretty much part of the whole experience. It wasn’t a bad one, by any means, but I don’t think I’ll be getting one installed any time soon either!

Some of scenery was fairly spectacular though, as we drove through the Dolomite Mountains. Below the huge hills, was a stream coloured from the limestone in the mountains - this gives the water an amazing ice-blue tinge. I am sure it is a rushing river during the winter months, when there is a lot more water to be had.

After about 6 hours and a couple of break stops, we were in Venice. The approach to this place is strange - you are driving through the doldrums, then past industrial waterways and modern hotels, and then you are over the bridge and into Venice. My first impressions of this city were not great, but it didn’t take long to change that.

Our afternoon activity was a gondola ride along the waterways, sharing a boat with 4 of our tour mates. We formed a funny little group of about 7 gondolas, with one having an accordion player and singer. This boat serenaded our groups as we floated along the canals. A lot of the buildings look derelict and un-lived in, but there is a strange sense of admiration you get about this place. Sure, it’s dirty and dingy, and the water isn’t that clean, but the mystery of the place makes you fall in love with the city.

We stepped off our gondolas, and walked through some backstreets, into Saint Mark’s Square - and all our jaws dropped. What a handsome sight! The buildings that surround the square are very ornate, and you can’t help but stare at the spires and art work ahead of you. The spires of St Mark’s have travelled from all over the world, and the building is massive. We didn’t have time to go in and explore the Church, or the huge bell tower that stands beside it, as we had a water taxi to catch, that took us down the grand canal.

The water is definitely the place to see the city from, and it is amazing to think about this city being built all those years ago - I think it dates back to the 9th century. Yes, there were natural islands here, but a lot of the houses are built on man-made structures. I don’t know if we’ll ever see another city like it. The gardens are also what amazed me, and people have private courtyards with mature trees growing above the waterways.

Some of the houses look as though they may submerge into the water at any moment, but somehow, they are still standing. It is also strange to see the doorways at the water’s edge - imagine pulling up to your front door by boat every day? The afternoon light was fading, so it was time to end our short journey into Venice, and head back to the hotel. The city had definitely left a strong impression on me, and Iz and I have the whole day tomorrow to explore.


Additional photos below
Photos: 64, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Dog MusicDog Music
Dog Music

This little puppy howled away as we went past :)
Gondola FriendsGondola Friends
Gondola Friends

Bob and Margaret, Kelly and Andrew!


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb