Week One


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
June 28th 2005
Published: July 1st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Out at nightOut at nightOut at night

Having some local wine--delicious!
Buon giorno!

I survived the ropes course. Although I do have a few nasty bruises as momentos.

Asolo is beautiful! For my class Tuesday afternoon, the professor walked us around the town to learn about the culture and the history. A few famous people, including the writer Robert Browning and Napolean, have frequented the town. We checked out the local castle and fort which was pretty interesting. My favorite part was the villa on the hill across the village. From where we stood, it looked like two beautiful villas, one on each side of the hill. BUT in fact, it was actually one villa that went through the giant hill! How cool is that? Apparently a lot of the residents here are well off. Many corporate CEO's live in the area--the owner of AplineStars (a Formula One racing supplier, for you race fans). We also got to tour the grounds of a beautiful hotel here (it runs for approximately $300 USD a night!). Overall, it is amazing here.

Tuesday evening we all went to the "mall" nearby. Although it did have a number of stores and a food court (complete with Burger King, haha) in the mall, it
AsoloAsoloAsolo

A view of the town outside of the restaurant, Due Mori. I love the architecture.
definitely wasn't like any American mall. For instance, the grocery store was the focal point of the mall.

Both Wednesday and Thursday evening we all headed out "on the town" for some wine and people watching. It's so fascinating! Of course, a bunch of us also had to sample the gelato as well. Fragola (strawberry) is my favorite flavor--tastes like fresh berries!

During the afternoon on Thursday two classmates and I explored the town some more. We walked up to the top of the hill (more like a mountain by U.S. standards) to check out the fortress up there. It's really old and big, and we even got to see the holes in the wall where archers once shot their arrows. Afterward we went back into town, walking the narrow, winding streets and checking out the shops. There is even one store here where you can get men's dress shirts--cotton or linen--handmade and tailored. Now that's style!

Friday afternoon I head off to Paris for three days...adieu! (More pictures soon.)


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

A villa through the hillA villa through the hill
A villa through the hill

Kind of hard to tell but this is the villa that goes through the hill. On the right side between the cyprus (?) trees is the rear entrance. The front is on the left side with the teal dome-ish roof. It was spectacular!
Hotel GroundsHotel Grounds
Hotel Grounds

The grounds of the finest hotel in Asolo. Supposedly they have lots of weddings here because of the beauty of the grounds.


1st July 2005

Asolo... yes...
Glad you are enjoying Asolo... I have spent many evenings at the Cafe Centrale and I've stayed in the Hotel Villa Cipriani... and yes, I've witnessed a very festive wedding held there... the place is magical.
1st July 2005

Wow!
Sounds amazing! Have a great time in Paris, Italy, and all your travels. If you get some time, take the train to La Spezia and hike the Cinque Terra (if you havent already). It's sooo beautiful! Safe travels! ~Kelli
1st July 2005

awesome
ally you look like you are having a blast.. party hardy for me. I MISS U!! thuzy
1st July 2005

Damn
It looks like the local guys are delicious, too :)
1st July 2005

having fun huh?
Looks like you are having a great time!

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb