VERONA ON TO VENICE


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
May 22nd 2018
Published: May 24th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We woke up to a slow persistent drizzle, it was actually comforting. I got up showered, shaved and went down to breakfast. The breakfast was certainly the most elaborate on this trip so far. All kinds of fruit, breads, meats, scrambled eggs, soft boiled eggs, fresh yogurt, far too much to choose from. I ordered a cappuccino and had a nice breakfast. Christina was out shopping and Jerry was sleeping in.

After breakfast, I headed out to the ATM, needed the umbrella as the drizzle was a bit heavier now. Without belaboring the point, let’s just say the ATM was a frustrating experience and I was not able to get any cash. Frustrated I walked back to the hotel. Jerry was just getting up so I did a bit of blogging (yes this is being typed on the train from Venice to Bologna so I am a few days behind).

We packed, checked out and Jerry had the light breakfast that was offered after the main breakfast finished. Again, check out was very easy, they called us a cab and off we went. By this time the rain had ended.

There were no issues with the train this time. No last-minute coach changes and found our seats easily. We did have to walk through another coach to store our luggage, but compared to the trip from Rome, that was nothing. It was a very relaxing 50-minute train ride to Venice. Jerry and I were very much looking forward to a return to Venice, the city of our engagement.

Venice

When you arrive at the train station in Venice and walk through the doors to the grand canal, it is as if you were transported to another time. There are no cars, busses, scooters, only the canal and water vessels. The buildings are not modern, but all ancient, yes some are in need of repair, but it is just the most beautiful moment of the trip when you step out to centuries gone by.

We mistakenly took the incorrect vaporetto and when the opposite direction of the grand canal, so Christina missed the grand entrance to the city. The route we took, went by the bus station, car park and cruise terminal. It was still a nice approach to San Marco square as we came from the direction of the Lido.

We arrived
the S. Zaccaria stop and hauled our luggage off the vaporetto. The last time we were in Venice we got extremely lost on our way to the hotel. So, lost, that we had to ask a local for directions, he ended up just walking us there. This time, we had no trouble, we were much closer in, just to the west of San Marco Square behind the Basilica. It took us less than 5 minutes to walk to the hotel and check in. To our pleasant surprise our rooms were ready. We stayed at Hotel Rio, a nice 3-star hotel, rooms were typical small but clean. This room did have a desk and a great WIFI connection so that made blogging much easier. The shower was again so small, it was hard for me to get into but had really good water pressure.

The woman at the front desk was very nice and spoke great English. We checked into the room did unpacked and headed out to explore. The original plan was to hit the Basilic, Piazza San Marco, go up in the Campanile and end at Harry’s bar for Bellini’s. What happened was we first headed for an ATM, which we found easily, then to find the laundry so we knew were to go when we dropped out off our mid trip laundry. We found this with ease as well. On our way to the laundry we stopped and had a slice of pizza, which was ok, but not what we made in Rome with Pino. Then we walked around San Marco and ended up at Harry’s Bar for our Bellini. Just in case you do not know Harry’s Bar invented the Bellini. It was a nice end to the first part of our day in Venice.

After our Bellini, we headed back to the hotel to get ready for dinner. We were not able to able to fine a wine shop but our hotel did have a nice selection to choose from, Jerry and I got bottle of Prosecco. We enjoyed our Prosecco, I blogged, Jerry vaped, and we just relaxed before dinner.

Dinner

I spent several days before the trip trying to find good places for dinner. Our first trip was very it and miss, and I wanted the food to be good and seafood basis. Venice is known for seafood so that is primarily what I wanted to eat here. After a ton of research, we decided upon two places, tonight was Antico Martini, right next to the theatre. As we were walking to dinner things started to look familiar, when we turned down one street it all flashed back, we were on the very street that we had dinner the night I asked Jerry to marry me. We even walked by the same restaurant. It had changed slightly but it was definitely the spot. Antico was just slightly passed that spot. There was obviously a play this evening as there were several people waiting to enter the theatre. We were a little early, we had allotted time to get lost, but we just seem to find everything right away.

I remember walking by this restaurant on our last trip to Venice, it looks like the kind of place that has been around for quite a while. We were seated inside at a table by the window, it was a humid night and a bit stuffy, we eventually asked them to turn on the a/c. The service was fairly decent but they didn’t really listen and seemed to be a bit over their jobs. It was another night of ordering on our own, except Jerry and I did split several things and ordered the fish of the day for two. That brings us to the meal. I will again do it by person.

Christina

Fried Soft Shell Crab – this was the special of the night, she really liked it, it was way over salted for Jerry and me.

Fish Soup – Clear fish stock, with fish, shrimp and mussels. Christina said it was good, but I couldn’t eat it because it would have killed me since I am allergic to clams and mussels.

Scampi Busara – Not American scampi, it was an al dente bucatini with langoustine. Langoustine is much stronger than shrimp and I am not sure she really liked the strong flavor. I did like it but it was a very strong fishy taste.

Jerry & Me

Smoked Salmon with brioche and fennel seeds. – The salmon was very good, but we are pretty sure they forgot all about the fennel as that flavor was clearly not present.

Risotto with scallops and asparagus. - very good risotto (a venetian specialty) the rice was al dente and the scallops cooked perfectly but not cleaned well, gritty and beard still connected.

Insalata Mista – Every salad has been fantastic, such fresh vegetables especially the tomatoes

John Dory – Oven roasted with potatoes and tomatoes, the sauce was heavenly the fish cooked perfectly. This ended up being the dish of the day.

The presentation of the fish was very nice, they brought the entire fish and then fillet it table side. When the waiter served it, we complimented him on his skills, he just said I did the best that I could.

With dinner we had a very nice Sauvignon.

We passed on dessert.

During dinner a table of retired New Yorkers sat down at a table behind us, there conversation was hysterical. One small part I must repeat went as follows:

Elderly woman speaking to the table: “Well, after 35 or 38 years of marriage, he sits her down and announces he is gay, then he just leaves her and doesn’t even provide for her. You know there are rules about this in Israel.”

I just about fell off the chair laughing. But it got
John DoryJohn DoryJohn Dory

Plated and ready to eat
better as she continued; “I mean I don’t care what your sexual affiliation is you should just make the affiliation sooner” She made it sound like you were registering for a political party.

After dinner we strolled slowly back to the hotel. Christina wanted to go on a gondola ride, but we could not find one that was available. We arrived back at the hotel and we retired for the evening.

It was a very good first day and night in Venice.

Step count was 230.

Dish of the night was the John Dory

Tomorrow is the Doge’s palace for all of us, Ca tour for us and Christina is off to a tour of Burano and Murano.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement




Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.059s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb