A Farewell and Lago Di Barcis


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Portogruaro
August 31st 2015
Published: September 5th 2015
Edit Blog Post

A gathering at the farmA gathering at the farmA gathering at the farm

Saying farewell to the honeymooners
Our first job this morning was to get to the farm by 9am to farewell Diego and Elisa on their honeymoon to Turkey, Greece and no doubt other places. After photos and a catchup they were soon on their way with Piero taking them and Nevio to the Venice Airport. We then returned to the B&B to pack up our belongings and move to the farm for the next few days. We were astounded to find the bill at the B&B had been paid. Diego had somehow done this while we were otherwise occupied. Somehow we’ll overturn that decision of his as it was our pleasure to be there.

After settling in we set the GPS for Lago di Barcis with Lindsay driving. We hadn’t turned off gravel roads on the TomTom and soon found ourselves bouncing along gravel back roads and shorter routes. That had to go. After over an hour mostly on the flat and finally into the foot hills and through tunnels we arrived at the lake which is a damned river valley and azure in colour. We had a walk about the small but neat town, found some lunch to picnic with and set off for a walk around the lake. Despite the height it was still 28 degrees but we soon were across the bridge and into trees on the other side of the lake. The walk is 6kms around which we did at a leisurely pace. The area Is noted for limestone with coral fossils from a barrier reef. It is also noted for the Barcis Meteorite which was discovered here in the 50’s when they were blasting for the damn. The surrounding rocks had melted and were glassy. It’s a nice walk with towering mountains nearby. There appears to be many walking tracks which look ominously steep so we were pleased not to be walking up them.



On the way back we stopped at Pordenone to stock up on some groceries and arrived back at Annone Veneto at around 6pm for some socialising and eventually dinner later to discuss timing for the train to Venice in the morning when we're doing a day trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb