Close to the Hills


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Asolo
September 26th 2016
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Convent & Fortress01 Convent & Fortress01 Convent & Fortress

The convent of St Peter and at the top of the hill is the fortress.
Geo: 45.7933, 11.9128

After lunch Zio Franco took Michael and I for a drive to a nearby touristy town. The town was very quiet this afternoon. From the car park in the historical centre we could see the Fortress of Asolo at the top of the hill. To us it looked like it was very run down and possibly now just ruins. It was built in the late 12th century. Below the fortress, we had a great view of a magnificent building, it was the former convent.

As we walked around we noticed that the main streets were decorated with many Italian flags. I assume that there must be a festival on soon. On the outside of the Palace of Reason we stopped to admire the very ancient frescoes from the 16th century which depicted a battle scene. We were then led into the cathedral. The cathedral was quite small, but probably the right size for this small town. It wasn't as decorated as other churches that we have seen, there were many plain, white walls. We had a quick look around and then walked out again.

From outside the cathedral we could see the remains of the castle. The castle dates back to
02 Fountain02 Fountain02 Fountain

The Maggiore Fountain with the symbol of Venice on the top.
the 10th century. Three of the castle's four towers still remain. We walked towards the castle along Via Regina Cornaro, named after a former queen of Cyprus. It only took a few minutes to get to the castle. It was also named after the former queen. Unfortunately for us, the castle was closed otherwise we would have had a great view of the surrounding countryside.

We slowly walked back to the car and along the way enjoyed the town's old architecture. We were going somewhere else before heading back home.



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

03 Michael & I 03 Michael & I
03 Michael & I

Michael and I sitting on the edge of the Maggiore Fountain.
04 Many Italian Flags04 Many Italian Flags
04 Many Italian Flags

In Via Regina Cornaro there were many Italian flags decorating this main street of the historical centre.
05 Ancient Fresco05 Ancient Fresco
05 Ancient Fresco

Painted in 1588 on the Palace of Reason.
06 Duomo06 Duomo
06 Duomo

The cathedral of Asolo.
07 Chapel07 Chapel
07 Chapel

One of the cathedral's small chapels with a baptismal bath.
08 Altar08 Altar
08 Altar

The cathedral's altar.
09 Painting09 Painting
09 Painting

One of the many paintings in the cathedral.
10 Mosaic Frame10 Mosaic Frame
10 Mosaic Frame

A pope illuminated by a mosaic frame.
11 Castle11 Castle
11 Castle

A view of the castle from outside the cathedral.
12 Outside12 Outside
12 Outside

Outside the cathedral.
13 Building13 Building
13 Building

One of the grand looking buildings in Via Regina Cornaro.
14 Tower14 Tower
14 Tower

Looking up at the castle's tower.
15 Closed15 Closed
15 Closed

The closed entrance to the castle.
16 Bell Tower16 Bell Tower
16 Bell Tower

The top of the cathedral's bell tower is visible behind the building.
17 Hills17 Hills
17 Hills

A view of nearby hills.
18 Flags18 Flags
18 Flags

Another street proudly flying many Italian flags.
19 Castle19 Castle
19 Castle

Another view of the castle and its remaining tower.
20 Looking Back20 Looking Back
20 Looking Back

Looking back at the castle and its tower.


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb