Cooking school and wine tasting


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Umbria » Orvieto
May 18th 2012
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 42.7165, 12.1116

What a fantastic day today. This morning we attended at cooking school. Just the four of us with Lorenzo and Jake at Zeppelin Ristorante in Orvieto. 9.00am start with lattes and pastries.

The restaurant is award winning and we are cooking today with the restaurant chefs surrounding us, cooking for the guests. Although Lorenzo (Chef) and Jake (Medic - he's a nurse) are all ours for four hours.

We learn to make pizza dough (a huge quantity) and make five different slabs. We make pasta from scratch and then prepare with a scrumptious pork and asparagus sauce. Next is a pork stew which is divine. Also a caponata (like a ratatouille - tomato, eggplant, capsicum). Finally a huge tray of tiramisu that Sue slaves over for ages, piping rosettes on top to complete. We had a great time preparing all of this. Chopping, kneading, folding, drinking prosecco, whipping, piping, drinking prosecco. After four hours of prep and tasting, it's time to eat. We are given copious amounts of white and red wine and all of the food we have prepared. We aren't even hungry but taste a bit of everything. This food is really good and we are quite proud of what we've cooked. Well done girls!

At the end of the lunch Lorenzo presented us with certificates and our aprons (which G has now shredded in the washing machine 😞 ).

We had a great morning but are stuffed to uncomfortable with food and drink. We leave the restaurant and in an hour we join a winery tour!

Simona, our cook from the previous night, has arranged a visit for us to Palazzano winery just outside Orvieto. It is a beautiful estate where we have a tour and then taste a range of wines, including the first viognier I've seen in Italy. It was a lovely afternoon and Simona is a great host.

We arrived back at Lugascello early evening in time to pack up ready to leave tomorrow. We reminisce about the week and get ready to say goodbye to Deb tomorrow morning before Sue, G and I move to the Amalfi coast.

Advertisement



26th May 2012

That cooking class sounds SO good! I'd love to do something like that.Can't wait for the demo in York Street, T Hill
26th May 2012

Italian nite at Truart Hill coming up!!

Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb