Visit Orvieto: A Concise Guide


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Umbria » Orvieto
May 25th 2016
Published: May 25th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Visit Orvieto




Visit Orvieto is a concise guide to the most important and interesting sites in this remarkable Medieval hilltop city. This short book offers a brief outline of this history-rich city and descriptions of its top visitor attractions.



Contents:

· A Brief History of Orvieto

· The Cathedral Duomo

· Other Orvieto Churches

· Orvieto Underground / Pozzo della Cava

· Torre del Moro / Torre di Maurizio

· Pozzo di San Patrizio (St. Patrick’s Well) / Fortress Albornoz

· Museums

· Palazzos

· Necropolis del Crocifisso del Tufo (Etruscan Graveyard)

· Anello della Rupe (A Walking Path Around the Rock)

· Teatro Mancinelli

· Local Artisan Traditions

· Orvieto Classico Wine

· Festivals & Events

<br style="mso-special-character: line-break; page-break-before: always;" clear="all" />



A Brief History of Orvieto

<em style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">Orvieto’s settlement history begins with the primitive Villanovan peoples who settled here between the 12th and 8th centuries B.C. Later, the Etruscans inhabited the splendid hilltop city, which they called <em style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">Velzna, between the end of the 6th century B.C. and the beginning of the 5th century B.C. and Velzna’s economic and demographic development began then, which allowed it assume the important and prestigious role as the capital of <em style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">Etruria.

The Romans invaded and destroyed the city of Velzna in 264 B.C. and its surviving inhabitants were exiled to the lakeside Roman city of <em style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">Volsinii (now Bolsena). When the Roman Empire was itself defeated and Volsinii was invaded and destroyed, the survivors returned to occupy and live on the golden-hued tufa plateau of Orvieto (Urbs Vetus).

During the Middle Ages, Orvieto developed into an independent city-state and established its internal shape which has since remained largely unchanged. It was during this time period of great wealth and beauty that the city’s most important development and expansion occurred. Orvieto had a well organized political system and urban structure divided in four districts: Serancia, San Giovenale, Postierla and Santa Pace. At that time Pope Urban IV lived in Orvieto because of the civil war in Rome. He commissioned the construction of the Duomo to be built alongside his palace. The fountain in Piazza della Repubblica, the Palazzo del Popolo and Palazzo dei Sette were also built during this time period.

From the 13th century, a long, bitter and violent rivalry between two local noble families – the Monaldeschi’s and the Filippeschi’s (mentioned in Dante’s Purgatory) – created instability and civil strife and more than a little bloodshed. It was further debilitated by the Black Death in 1348. A visit by an emissary of the Pope, Cardinal Egidio Albornoz, in 1354, caused an imposing fortress to be built, but it was not until 1450 and the shedding of still more blood that the entire territory finally became completely annexed by the Papal State.

From 1600 to 1700, Orvieto underwent profound architectural changes with the building of many fine Renaissance palaces. In this period, the city, which was an important papal province, found economic prosperity thanks to its popularity among popes and cardinals who considered it to be a quiet and safe place to stay during unsettled periods in Rome.

Between 1800 and 1900, Orvieto experienced a period of restoration and renovation of existing buildings as well as in the upgrading of roads and the telecommunication infrastructure. For example, in 1888 the first cable car (known as the Funicular) was created and powered by an extraordinarily advanced water tank system. Today, the Funicular (now electric) still connects the old city centre hilltop of Orvieto with modern development of Orvieto Scalo (where the train station is located). The last major building works were the construction of two large military bases: Caserma Piave (Aviation) and Caserma Monte Grappa (Army).

Today, Orvieto’s economy relies on tourism. It boasts about a dozen small-but-perfectly-formed boutique hotels and twice that many intimate and friendly, family-run restaurants and trattorias. For many visitors to Italy, Orvieto is only a brief stop on the road between Rome and Florence. While it is possible to visit all of Orvieto’s sites in a frantic one day visit, we recommend spending at least a couple of nights here to fully appreciate this wonderful city perched on the tufa rock!

(Tip: If arriving by train, the funicular ticket is also valid for one trip on the two local buses, one of which goes to the Duomo and the other to the Piazza Repubblica)





The Duomo / The Chapels The Corporale & San Brizio / Luca Signorella

Like many if not all towns and cities in Italy, Orvieto is a place of many churches, none more spectacular that of the magnificent Cathedral Duomo, an Italian Gothic masterpiece, which dominates its skyline. The Duomo is truly one of the most noble and splendid buildings of Romanesque/Gothic architecture in Europe. It is a striking, spectacular building and the reason why many people visit Orvieto. The cathedral was founded in 1290, its foundation stone blessed by the then Pope Nicholas IV and its construction took nearly 300 hundred years to complete. It is thought the original design was from the Florentine architect and sculptor, Arnolfo di Cambio, who was also responsible for the Cathedral of Florence. It began as a Romanesque structure but mutated into the Gothic style when Lorenzo Maitani assumed responsibility for it in 1310. He transformed and expanded the basilica nave and two side aisles to include two chapels, the San Brizio and the Cappella del Corporale. He reinforced the external walls with flying buttresses and enlarged the transept with the square apse in the centre of which were set four great windows which were later decorated with stained glass by master Giovanni de Bonino between 1328 and 1334.

The cathedral stands on a plinth of seven steps; its exterior walls consist of alternating horizontal bands of white travertine and grey basalt. The huge west-facing facade, designed and begun by Maitani but not completed until the early 17th century, is absolutely stunning and one of the finest examples of Italian Gothic architecture in existence. Four elegant spires with high turrets divide it vertically. The facade seems to sparkle and glitter with brilliance and profuse colour as the sun spotlights the many panels of sculptures, bas-reliefs and polychrome mosaics. It has the form of a richly-ornamental polyptych composed of many panels, well-preserved, with the scenes divided by delicately carved wine tendrils or acanthus branches.

The first pilaster illustrates the stories of Genesis and Creation of the Animals, of Adam and Eve, and of Cain and Abel. The second pilaster contains stories from the Old Testament referring in particular to messianic prophecies. The third pilaster shows scenes from the New Testament, including the Annunciation of Mary and the Birth of Jesus, the Adoration of the Magi, the Epiphany, the Baptism and Temptation of Christ, the Kiss of Judas, Flagellation and Cruicifixion. And the fourth pilaster details the Last Judgement, Christ the Judge, the Virgin Mary, John the Baptist, the Apostles and the Prophet, the Elect, the Damned, the Resurrection of the Flesh and the Damned and finally, Hell. These incredible sculptural details reward slow consideration.

There are also four large bronze symbols of the Evangilists by Maitani, and three bronze doors by Emilio Greco, one of the best known Italian sculptors from the 1900s.

The interior of the cathedral Duomo is also magnificent, and full of masterpieces of sculpture and painting, while at the same time being uncluttered and stream-lined in which its fine architectural detail can be seen and appreciated. Light floods into the nave and two aisles through stained-glass by master Giovanni di Bonino da Assisi, some of the most important Gothic stained-glass windows in Italy, and a rose window with Christ at its centre over the entrance doorway, the work of the Florentine artist Andrea Orcagna.

Like its exterior, the interior walls of the Duomo are of alternating bands of white travertine and grey basalt, as are its internal cylindrical pillars. The original trussed timber roof was renewed at the end of the 19th century, but the cross-vaulting in the transept and apse remain. In the nave is a fine marble holy water stoup by Antonio Federighi from Siena and a large marble baptismal font, supported by crouching lions, begun in 1390 by another Sienese artist, Luca de Giovanni. The huge, imposing and colourful organ was designed by the local sculptor Ippolito Scalza in 1584 and still produces a wondrous sound (most accessibly and gloriously during the Gospel Choir concerts held annually during Umbria Jazz Winter Festival).

Inside the walls and ceilings of both of the main chapels are important, restored fresco paintings. The Chapel del Corporale is dedicated primarily to the ‘Miracle of Bolsena’ and other miraculous scenes from the Holy Sacrament, and built specifically to house the blood-stained linen or coporal from Bolsena. In 1263, a priest who expressed doubts about the doctrine of Transubstantiation was convinced when he saw blood drip from the Host onto the altar cloth during Mass. The stained corporal is preserved is a splendid reliquary in silver and gilded silver and translucent enamels. It is the masterpiece of Sienese goldsmith Ugolino di Vieri.

The Chapel of San Brizio contains the frescoes of Luca Signorelli from Cortona, one of the most remarkable fresco cycles of the Italian Renaissance. Fra Angelico began the work in 1447 but painted only two of the vault sections. Work halted and it wasn’t until 1499 that Luca Signorelli continued, finishing the entire chapel by 1504. Signorelli’s frescos in Orvieto are the masterpiece of this famous Italian Renaissance artist. Never before had there been portrayed such an expressive and explicit force in the frantic tangle of twisted and yearning bodies in public art.

Perhaps the best way to study, admire and appreciate Signorelli’s brilliant, breath-taking frescoes is suggested by the placement of his own self-portrait, along with Fra Angelico, at the bottom corner of the first panel: the Sermon of the Antichrist, where he can observe his work in its entirety. Signarelli and Angelico are clothed in noble vestment. The Antichrist, with the Devil whispering in his ear, is surrounded by a multitude of figures, including Dante, Boccaccio, Petrarch, Christopher Columbus, a young Raphael and a Mondaldeschi from Orvieto.

The second panel, extending in an arch over the doorway, depicts the Day of Judgement and the End of the World with collapsing cities, a red moon and black sun, scenes of torture and terrified people under a dark, threatening sky from which the stars fall. The third scene is of the Resurrection of the Flesh heralded by two splendid angels in the sky who guide the elect to Paradise, with skeletons and bodies struggling to free themselves from confines of the earth. The nude figures painted here are particularly luminous and (in)famous.

The fourth panel is The Damned are Taken into Hell and Received by the Demons. Three archangels in armour drive the Damned into Hell. A tremendous tangle of twisting and contorting bodies, at its centre the coveted prey of the Whore of the Apocalypse taken to Hell on the back of a flying Demon. The atmosphere of terror and suffering in this apocalyptic scene is quite extraordinary.

The fifth and sixth scenes, on the back wall on either side of the altar, show the Reprobates Driven to Hell. And the seventh scene shows the Elect on Their Way to Paradise. The luminous atmosphere is set by the figures of benevolent angels playing musical instrument and movement and joy and more than a little adoration.

Such was the expressiveness and dynamism and influence of Signarelli’s Orvieto frescoes in the Duomo that they later inspired Michelangelo during his work on the Sistine Chapel. (Piazza del Duomo)





Other Orvieto Churches

Sant’Agostino – (Located on Piazza Guerrieri Gonzaga). Established as the seat of the Sant’Agostino hermit followers in 1263. While restored in the 16th and 18th centuries, the Gothic character of the church remains in the 13th century portal richly decorated with rosettes.

Sant’Andrea – (Located on Piazza Repubblica). Sant’Andrea is one of the oldest and most important religious buildings in Orvieto. It is located in Piazza della Repubblica next to the Town Hall. Founded in the 7th century, it was built on walls of probably Etruscan origin, over which a Roman temple was later built. It was rebuilt in stages during the 12th to 14th centuries. A beautiful church, with a twelve-sided campanile tower (restored in 1928), it was also once the most important church in Orvieto. It was from here that Pope Innocent III proclaimed the 4th Crusade in 1201. Pope Martin was crowned Pope here in 1281 in the presence of Charles of Anjou. The interior of the building includes a lovely nave, the Magotti tomb and fine vaulting in the ceiling; fragments of 14th and 15th century frescoes on the walls. Beneath its floor excavations have revealed a 6th century pavement from the primitive basilica.

San Domenico – (Located on Piazza XXIX Marzo). The original 13th century structure as a whole no longer remains, what does remain is the transept and apse of the church. It is thought to be the first church dedicated to Saint Domenic. It was in its former convent where St Thomas Aquinas taught theology. And it was here that the unusual striped stonework of alternating bands of dark basalt and pale travertine appeared for the first time in Orvieto. The most important work within the church is the incomplete Tomb of Cardinal Guglielmo de Braye who died in 1282.

San Franscesco – (Located on via Ippoliti Scalza). The San Franscesco church was built on top of the remains of an Etruscan temple in 1240 and consecrated in 1266 by Pope Clement IV. It stands at the highest point of the cliff of Orvieto. An impressive church, it is constructed with local tufa rock and has three portals, the centre one is in marble with a Gothic splay consisting of small elegant columns which move in a pointed arch about the capitals. The most notable point in this church’s history was the funeral of King Henry III of England celebrated by Pope Gregory X in 1273 and the canonization by Pope Boniface VIII of King Louis IX of France in 1297.

San Giovenale – (Located on Piazza San Giovenale). The oldest of Orvieto’s churches, and one of the most important medieval buildings in Orvieto, and a significant example of Romanesque-Gothic art. A small church was built in the 7th/8th century on the site of a pagan temple. The San Giovenales church’s construction dates back to 1004. It is situated in the Medieval quarter and while it was been restored and renovated repeatedly, it remains almost unchanged over the centuries. Inside are three naves with eight cylindrical tufa columns and round arches supporting the walls of the central nave. During one of the restorations a cycle of frescoes was discovered and have been preserved, including a delicate and fragmented Madonna del Latte (Nursing Madonna).

San Lorenze de Arari – (Located on via Ippolito Scalza). Dating to the 13th century and renovated by Paolo Zampi. A simple facade with a 15th century portal holding a lunette with the image of Madonna and Child and Two Saints, its interior contains 14th century frescoes and three naves separated by ten large Romaneque columns.





Orvieto Underground / Pozzo della Cava

Orvieto Underground. (Located on Piazza Duomo). Corresponding to the city built on top of the 325 meter (1000 feet) cliffs is an underground city dug out of the tufa rock on which it sits. Some of these caves, grottoes and wells are accessible, but only by a one hour guided tour. On offer is a ‘Carta Unico’ which offers entrance to ten of Orvieto’s top attractions, including the underground caves and is available from their office. The Etruscan underground caves and paths are over 2500 years old. These caves, many of which are quite spacious were used variously as wine cellars and storage, old mills, quarries, cisterns and pigeon aviaries. There are cisterns and well shafts. Each building in Orvieto had, at one time, its own subterranean space, used primarily for storage, and there are thought to upwards of over 1200 of them in total. (The main tourist office is located on Piazza del Duomo. There is also an office at the summit of the Funicolare on Piazza Cahen.)

Pozzo della Cava is a charming, private museum located in the heart of the old medieval quarter of Orvieto. It is an impressive hand-dug series of underground wells and rooms, excavated from the tufa rock, to a depth of about 25 metres (82 feet). It was originally an Etruscan well. Its nine subterranean grottoes have remains of pottery with several kilns from the 13 to 15th centuries. At Christmas a remarkable life-size crib (precipio) is set up in the grotto and local townspeople dress in period costume to honour the birth of Christ. (Via Della Cava)





Pozzo di San Patrizio (St. Patrick’s Well) / Fortress Albornoz

St. Patrick’s Well (Located on Piazza Cahen) - St Patrick’s Well was built for Pope Clement VII who fled to Orvieto during the sacking and fall of Rome in 1527, to provide an emergency water supply in time of siege. It was designed by Antonio da Sangallo and construction completed in 1537. It is 13 metres (42.5 feet) wide and 62 metres (203 feet) deep. Two spiral staircases, each with 248 steps, wind around the cylindrical well shaft. They were designed as a double helix so that those descending to collect water, including pack donkeys, did not meet those ascending with their heavy load. The well shaft is lit by 72 windows. An inscription at the entrance to the well, in Latin, translates as ‘what nature did not provide, industry has procured’.

Fortress Albornoz, an ancient and imposing fortress for defending the city from attack and a means of papal domination of the city and its environs, construction commenced in 1364, now houses a public park and is a beautiful spot from which to enjoy splendid panoramic views of the surrounding Umbrian landscape from its ramparts.

<br style="mso-special-character: line-break; page-break-before: always;" clear="all" />



Torre del Moro / Torre di Maurizio

Located in the centre of Orvieto, at the junction of Corso Cavour and via del Duomo, the Torre del Moro, built in the 12th century as a symbol of the city’s prominence and strength, stands over 40 meters high (about 150 feet), and is the tallest building in the city of Orvieto. This tower can be visited and climbed to its summit from where you can enjoy a remarkable, 360-degree panoramic view over the entire city. The mechanical clock dates from the restoration work of 1865 when two civic bells were installed, the smaller coming from the tower of the Sant’Andrea church and the larger, which was cast in 1313, from the Palazzo del Popolo. The bells bear the symbols of the nobles and the guilds, and both bells continue to ring out every fifteen minutes for 24 hours of each day!

The Torre di Maurizio, further along via del Duomo, is a medieval clock tower dating from 1348 and one of the oldest clock towers in Italy. It contains a bronze automaton at that was used to monitor the punctuality of the workforce on the cathedral Duomo building site. It can be seen clearly from the Piazza del Duomo.





Museums

The National Archaeological Museum – (Located on Piazza del Duomo). Established in 1982, it is housed in the former papal palace next to the Cathedral Duomo and contains several thousand artifacts, including a substantial collection of the oldest findings from the Etruscan graveyards, ceramics, a full bronze suit of armour composed of a helmet, cuirass, shin guards and shield. It also contains the two famous chamber doors from nearby Porano.

Faina Museum – (Located on Piazza del Duomo) Founded in 1864 by Mauro Faina and enlarged by his nephew Eugenio. The Faina family played a major role in the Umbrian Risorgimento and in the political and economic life of the region after Unification. The collection consists of some 3,500 collected objects, especially coins. Other exhibits are from the Etruscan gravesites just outside the cities walls and include Etruscan gold jewellery, urns, bronzes and ceramics, black-figure amphorae and craters, red- and black-figure vases, and the torso of a small Greek marble statue from the 4th century.

Museum di Emilio Greco – (Located on Piazza del Duomo). On the ground floor of the papal palace, this museum contains 32 bronze sculptures (including the famous nude women), and 60 drawings and lithographs from the Sicilian artist Emilio Greco (1913-1995), one of Italy’s best and most renowned modern sculptors. While it was Greco who made the cathedral Duomo’s great bronze doors between 1962 and 1964, and his ‘Venus’ sculptures are much-appreciated by collectors and museum worldwide, he is most famous for his monument to Pinnocchio in Collodi park in Tuscany.

Museum dell’Opera del Duomo – (Located on Piazza del Duomo). Also located in the former papal palace, this museum is dedicated to the cathedral and its exhibits include paintings, sculptures, sacred furnishings and other works of art from the cathedral Duomo from the Middle Ages until the 18th century. On display are works by Simeone and Machilone (Madonna Enthroned and Child) Coppo de Marcovaldo (Madonna and Child), Arnolfo di Cambio, Simone Martini (the polyptych with the Madonna and Saints Peter, Dominic, Magdalene and Paul), Niccolo Circignani, Andrea Pisano (Madonna and Child) and Luca Signorelli (Mary Magdalene).





Palazzos

Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo – (Located on Piazza del Popolo). Behind Torre del Moro is located the magnificent Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo. It was originally the residence of the Capitano del Popolo, a major Medieval figure and a spokesman, and a supporter for the people of Orvieto. An imposing building in tufa rock, begun in the 12th century and completed in the 13th, is built in a composite Romanesque-Gothic style. There are a series of massive arches on the ground floor, three-mullioned windows on the upper level. Carefully and sensitively restored, the building is now used as a conference and performance centre, particularly for the annual Umbria Winter Jazz Festival.

Palazzo Soliano – (Located on Piazza del Duomo). Built in the Gothic style, this handsome, monumental building stands next to the Cathedral Duomo. It was formerly known as the ‘Palace of the Popes’ and its construction was begun by Pope Boniface VIII in 1297. This building now houses the National Archaeological Museum.

Palazzo Communale – (Located on Piazza della Repubblica). Dating from 1216 and renovated in 1573-81 by Ippolito Scalza.

Palazzo Caravajal-Simoncelli – (Located on via Malabranca). Built for a Spanish nobleman in the 16th century, designed by Ippolito Scalzo, this palazzo has an inscription above its entrance, in Spanish, advising that it was built for the comfort of its owner’s friends.

Palazzo Clementini – (Located on Piazza Ippolito Scalza). Designed by Ippolito Scalzo, the architect who redesigned much of the city during the 16th century. Presently houses the library.

Palazzo Filippeschi-Simoncelli –(Located on via Simoncelli). Florentine in style, 15th century, attributed to Bernardo Rosselini.

Palazzo dei Sette – (Located on Corso Cavour). Next to the Torre del Moro, built for the seven magistrates elected by the guilds to govern the commune and named for its most important magistrate, Signori Sette.





Necropoli del Crocifisso del Tufo (Etruscan Graveyard)

Orvieto has been a city of great prestige in several different historical periods, beginning in the 9th Century BC with the Etruscan civilization when it experienced a period of growth, great splendour and importance and it became the most important town of the vast territory of Etruria. Archaeologists and historians have discovered, in an area below the cliffs, what they believe to be the famous “Fanum Voltumnae”: the most important shrine of the Etruscan federation and the ancient Etruscan sanctuary that is thought to be the centre of the Etruscan religion. As well as being the religious center, the city of Orvieto, in Etruscan “Velzna”, was the political centre, where the leading exponents of the 12 major Etruscan cities (dodecapoli) would gather.

The life and art of this great ancient civilization remains visible today through the findings during the excavations of its necropoli (graveyards). The most important Etruscan necropolis lies at the base on the north-side of the cliff on top of which Orvieto sits. The cemetery complex dates from the 8th to 3rd centuries B.C. and contains over 100 tombs. Hundreds of artefacts have been unearthed here, many of significant historical and artistic importance. Findings include weapons and shields, statues, pottery and vases. The necropolis itself consists of dozens of single or double chamber tombs, constructed from the local tufa rock. The entrances to the rectangular chamber tombs lie along streets laid in an urban-like grid-system which make the complex seem a small city, with the family name carved into the architrave over the entrance. Findings are on display in Orvieto’s museums as well as other museums throughout Italy and museums worldwide, including the Louve and the British Museum. The site can be visited and archaeological work continues.





Anello della Rupe (A Walking Path Around the Rock)

The Anello della Rupe is a 5 kilometre (a little over 3 miles) nature trail and walking path that encircles the entire perimeter of the immense tufa rock upon which the medieval city of Orvieto sits. Its difficulty rating is ‘mid-low’. No special equipment is required, only comfortable walking shoes, a bottle of water and a camera. The walk takes between 60 and 90 minutes. There is no lighting along the trail, so walking it after dark is unadvisable. There are five entrance gates onto the nature-trail, which in places is lined with rustic wooden fencing. There are switch-backs on the ascents/descents (depending on your direction of travel). Along the path there are several small billboard maps indicating your location on the route and pertinent facts about the scenery. The route is signposted with small wooden pointed signs reading “Percorso Rupe” and pointing to the correct trail around the entire rock, (especially as there are a few branch routes down to Orvieto Scalo from the percorso). Be sure to stop frequently and look up to note the many grottoes in the Cliffside as well as the spectacular view of the beautiful Umbrian countryside. (The Etruscan graveyard can be accessed via the percorso, the nearest gate, Porta Vivaria.)





Teatro Mancinelli

(Located on Corso Cavour). The Mancinelli theatre is one of the best and most interesting examples of 19th century historical theatre buildings in Italy, with its elegant neo-classical facade designed by the Roman architect Virgilio Vespignani who was the official architect of the Church State at that time. Its interior walls and ceilings display fine decorative fresco paintings, carved stucco work and sculptures, and the famous historic drop-curtain curtain, Explusion of the Goths, painted by Fracassini. The theatre is dedicated to the brothers Luigi and Marino Mancinelli, both great musicians and composers born in Orvieto in the middle of the 19th century. The theatre hosts regular seasons of plays, operas, festivals, cabaret, ballets and concerts throughout the year.




Orvieto Classico Wine


Wine-making was introduced to the Orvieto region by the early Etruscans. Orvieto Classico is a world-renowned white wine made under the Orvieto DOC of Umbria. The Classico zone is located around Orvieto town itself and extended eastwards to the land around Corbara Lake and westward to the regional border with Lazio. The Orvieto Classico label is reserved exclusively for the white wine, in both sweet and dry style, both of which can be made in ‘standard’ and ‘superior’ variants. The wines are made from a combination of Procanico and Grechetto, which together must account for at least 60%!o(MISSING)f the blend. The remaining 40%!c(MISSING)an be made up from any combination of other white varieties sanctioned for use within the province. A typical Orvieto Classico is a pale, straw-yellow in colour, with a greenish highlight, a citrus and apple fruit aroma and flavour, light-bodied, clean and fresh, easy-drinking, with a nutty hint of almond in a crisp finish. It is a wine that has achieved recognition and significant sales world-wide and continues to grow countless fond admirers.





Local Artisan Traditions

Throughout its entire history Orvieto crafts-work has paralleled the historical and sociological evolution of the city.

Ceramics: The manufacturing of ceramics in Orvieto has ancient origins. Many pieces of Etruscan pottery and dishes, vases, necklaces and statues have been found in Orvieto (and are still being unearthed by continuing archaeological excavations) and are on display in major museums throughout the world. There are valuable and significant collections of Etruscan pottery and objects in the local museums also. A medieval kiln was recently discovered in the centre of Orvieto. All the medieval pottery of Orvieto is noted for its excellent workmanship and innovative decorations. The main colors used were coppery green, white and black manganese. Decorations include animal and human figures as well as images of nature. Local ceramic makers echo their medieval brethren.

Lace: Traditional lace making in Orvieto, known as ‘Irlanda’, commenced in 1907 as an initiative from the local aristocracy that aimed to give women the opportunity to work at home. Ars Wetana, a patronage society, was inaugurated and work commenced involving the manufacturing of lace with special references to the Duomo cathedral with decorative motifs drawn from the bas-reliefs of its exterior. It continues to this day.

Woodworking: Woodworking is a long-standing tradition, popularised by the pioneering artist Gualverio Michelangeli (1929-1986) who was a remarkable wood-carver and one of its most accomplished masters. An alley in Orvieto contains original works by Michelangeli and his workshop continues production under the guidance of his three daughters. Many of the shops in Orvieto feature shelving, furniture and decorative pieces from this workshop. They are also available for purchase at their own store.





Festivals & Events:

April – Music and Culture Festival (A recent festival that includes prominent Italian personalities in music, theater and literature.)

April/May – Ice Cream Festival (A fairly recent but already well-established festival event that showcases gelato makers from all Italian regions who compete in a “National Championship of Ice Cream”.)

May – Cronoscalata della Castellana (An automobile exhibition and rally that includes antique, classic and modern sport cars.)

May – Flower Festival (Many private gardens are open to the public during this colourful celebration.)

May – Festa della Palombella (An ancient and traditional popular celebration, originated in the 14th century, celebrated in front of the Duomo on Whit Sunday, of the Pentecost.)

Last Weekend in May – Open Vineyards – Throughout Italy, vineyards open their gates to visitors. It is a wonderful opportunity to visit private vineyards and taste their wines. Some vineyards offer food as well as wine.

June – Corpus Domini e Corteo Storico (Traditional historical and religious parades all along the streets and major squares of Orvieto. During this traditional event, established by Pope Urban IV in 1264, in addition to the holy relic of the Corpus Christi solemn procession through the streets of Orvieto, local citizens and soldiers of the city parade in medieval costume.)

August – Umbria Folk Festival (Folk music from Italy and beyond coupled with local gastronomy and offerings of handicrafts of Italian folk tradition and tastings of local products including olive oil and Orvieto Classic wine.)

October – Orvieto con Gusto Slow Food Festival (A food and wine event sponsored by the Slow Food / CittaSlow movement, founded in Orvieto in 1999 and who have their international headquarters in the San Giovanni complex which contains a beautiful cloister with an elegant marble well from 1526-32 attributed to Sangallo, The food celebration gives attendees a chance to sample dishes and wines from local restaurants and cantinas. The event demonstrates the Italian philosophy: “taking the time to enjoy good food and drink” with friends. Food stalls are located throughout Orvieto.)

December – Umbria Jazz Winter Festival (Five days of wonderful live jazz music. The festival includes concerts held in historic buildings. Many popular Italian and world-renowned jazz musicians play at this event. A gospel concert is held in the Duomo.)







Disclaimer: Although we have made every effort to assure that the information presented here was correct at the time of publication, we do not assume any liability to any party for any loss, damage, or disruption caused by errors or omissions whatever their cause.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.27s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb