Day 42: Lake Trasimeno to Assisi


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Umbria » Assisi
April 15th 2011
Published: April 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Leaving our lovely campsite on the shores of the lake it was off to Perugia another old city dating back to around 1200ad. Arriving there we found camping car stop some 4km uphill from the historic, N 43° 09789 E 012° 38449 Deciding against the walk we found a bus, after some time and various hand gestures with a couple from a neighbouring camper van it was off to explore Perugia. We were vary glad about the bus decision as the walk would have been an absolute killer, arriving at our stop at the top of the hill we wandered the streets of Perugia for a while, not overly impressed they did have a bizarre complex of escalators for getting around from the top part of the old city to the lower levels of the new city. While a nice place nothing spectacular. Leaving Perugia it was off towards Assisi, well what a find this little town was, make it a must do for your trip to Italy. The town located high on a hill overlooking the plains of Umbria it is stark white and is a stunning view from below. Heading up there to a supposed free camp stop was as usual a nightmare of narrow roads and alleys and no damn camper stop. There was one camp ground up there but we could not find it at all. Heading back down the hill we found a car park to overnight in, at a cost with an angry little Italian man on the gate who acted like Mussolini, bloody little fascist. Despite this it was a good overnighter and an easy bus trip up to Assisi in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.292s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 81; dbt: 0.0902s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb