Still in Assisi


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany
May 26th 2005
Published: May 26th 2005
Edit Blog Post

My turn.
A further note about Firenze. One of the nicest things about it was our meeting a store-owner named Luca, who runs the Galeria on Via Ricasoli, the street that connects the Duomo with the Accademia, where the real David is, who we didn't get to see because the lineup was 3 blocks long. He is a gem. Luca, I mean. His favorite product: purses made of "Buffalo", which threw us into spasms of laughter. Imagine us going home to western Canada with buffalo purses. Turns out they're water buffalo, not bison, but it took some time for us to figure that one out. The reason we went there was because my philosophy is if you can't get near the works of art, you might as well buy stuff. If you visit Luca, say hi from the Canadesi, and tell him you want a 'very good deal' :>)
Now, Assisi: First of all - I want to be the first to say this - Margo actually said today "Hey, this climb isn't too bad, is it?" while we walked up a hill that is no steeper than what we did in Chianti country. Fantastico! As for me, my hay fever is so bad here that I don't even want to be outside, so I'm not racing up any hills at all.
St Anthony's Guest House is, as far as creature comforts go, an extremely wonderful place. We are welcome to sit in a garden that has a panoramic view of the surrounding countryside, or in their library or sitting room, or the little chapel. There are fridges to store our groceries in, and, thanks be to God, gelato and wine for sale in the kitchen. Why bother going out, I figure?
Assisi is a beautiful little city, and we are getting to know a little more about St Francis while we are here. The Basilica San Francesco is a must-see if you come here. One of the highlights for me there is the Tomb of St Francis, on the lower level. A very simple concrete casket in a simply-ordained setting. Very reverent place. No chatting (Silenzio!)
We are planning on taking the train to Rome tomorrow for a change. Will be in touch in a few days.
Ciao,
Nonna Leslie


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0728s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb