Tuscan Residence


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany
August 19th 2008
Published: August 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The indispensable pool!The indispensable pool!The indispensable pool!

Since taking this photo a moment ago, I have turned over a chair :)
As every parent knows, children have a variety of screams; The gleeful shriek, the theatrical screech, the angry "I want Mommy's attention" holler,...then there's the cringing scream of fear that sends a parent flying in the child's direction to find.... a SCORPION in the bathing suit :D LoL, the children all standing on chairs like you'd imagine a grandmother hiding from a mouse. They're all making noise but saying nothing :D
It was an adorably small looking creature, just under an inch long, but intimidatingly black in color with extremely mobile "claws". The Euscorpius concinnus are common to this region & pretty harmless. One would think after days of seeing large ones (about 3 inches) in or by the swimming pool, my repetitive chant of "Pick up your clothes-especially damp ones", would have sunk in! Well, this experience did the trick, NOTHING was left on the floor after this experience! Not a toy, not a souvenir...nothing! "Tidy" has become the word of the day-YAY!

One of the best things about Italy, besides the weather, the art, the architecture, the sights & everything else I've gone on about is once again, the food. As often as I have had horse, no other country can make a better horse steak than Italy. OH YUM! Grilled to perfection like they know what they're doing-considerably better than kangaroo. Although I've about had my fill of Truffles :D!

We've explored a few wine cellars, but haven't taken any day long excursions as we do when in Spain. Purchasing wine in Tuscany is a must. €30 bottle here= one will pay €150 in a restaurant elsewhere. It must be said however, the issue of counterfeit wine is taken very seriously here. All authentic producers are bending over backwards to show a greater transparency as of late.... ( id est since Brunello di Montalcino scandal especially)

Seemingly every village/city is uphill, SERIOUSLY uphill ! Parking is normally @ or near the base of the mountain one is going to climb, heh, UNLESS..... you aren't easily shaken. The shadowy lanes you've seen the images of - people drive through them! People with nerves of steel as you have about a foot and a half of space on either side of the car. Most Italians drive smaller sized cars, I suggest if you drive anything bigger than a BMW, park @ the bottom of the hill !
Restored from medieval timesRestored from medieval timesRestored from medieval times

Our children are convinced we have a ghost :D
Tight corners, people, other cars (that know what they're doing 😊 one-way streets, delivery people parked in the way.... time to appreciate the exercise aspect & work off some of those truffles! :D
GPS has a long way to go to keep one on course to their destination. In the States a few feet probably doesn't make too much of a difference, here it's a matter of being put 20 minutes out of your way by taking an incorrect one-way lane ! Guess I just have to hold my breath waiting for Galileo to become operational- :D!!!

We're loving our Italian home, toilet seat & all ! As I sit here poolside, under the ancient olive trees overlooking wine vineyards as far as the eye can see, sipping the local flavor, I'm reminded about the important things in life. The things we tend to bury under the hast of everyday living & working. I am the luckiest person I know 😊

Another adventure tomorrow! X
A~






Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

A view from the poolA view from the pool
A view from the pool

Note the unusual olive tree trunk on left


Tot: 0.248s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0616s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb