Santa Croce Firenze


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany
October 20th 2019
Published: October 20th 2019
Edit Blog Post

We're getting lazy now....11am before we hit the pavement.. what is really great is that we are within walking distance of everything....so accessible, no buses or automobiles required here!
And so it was to the Palazzo Strozzi first up...up, down, up the pavements, down the pavements, side step, back step, doorway step, road step....so glad we were not here in July we probably would have just been in a jamb fullstop!!! saw a couple of people trip their ankles on the uneven paving stones....hence our technique of road use for walking when possible...look out for the scooters & those 3 wheel vehicles....AND especially the no noise electric cars!

Onto Santa Croce 1294-1385 Gothic style 'Temple of the Italian Glories'...buried here are Michaelangelo, Galileo, Rossini, Ghiberti, Bartolini...
It is the largest Franciscan church in the world. Many of the chapels are decorated with frescos by Giotti. The marble façade dates from 1857. A monument to Florence Nightingale is here as she was named after this city.

A true artists heaven...you can see in the photo the lady painting has her daughter with her & she has her own paper on the easel set at her level...had a little chat about her artwork.



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0859s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb