Siena


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Siena
August 25th 2008
Published: August 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I LOVE this cityI LOVE this cityI LOVE this city

Almost positive that's The Basilica di Santa Maria dei Servi in background
Sienna, day or night, rain or shine- a city to spend days in! Friendly, relaxing & so many American tourists, one might just think English is the native language here 😊

Much to our delight, we missed the Palio dell'Assunta horse race where many thousands gather from all over the world to watch. The sparse Piazza seen here looks considerably different when packed to capacity I'm sure!

The small lanes of Sienna are darker than most cities we've had the pleasure to experience. It's so dark as a matter of fact that it is physically & emotionally shocking to step out onto the Piazza & view the Palazzo Pubblico & enormous Tower.... literally brought tears to my eyes. It wasn't simply because it was so bright, it was the experience of strolling through the more simplistic gothic/medieval paths around the city to step out onto this vast expanse. Absolutely unforgettable. Unfortunately my photos don't give this structure the justice it deserves.

This building, like so many others (especially Cathedrals) has a dress code. Although scorching @ times deep in the cities due to the amount of brick, concrete, marble, plaster & the inability of breezes to swirl unabated,
DuomoDuomoDuomo

Cathedral with HIGHLY unusual north-south axis
people tend to wear as little as possible. The dress codes are strictly enforced & it is a shame to see people wait in line, only to be turned away @ the door. I have found carrying a few sarongs for the girls & myself, takes up little space & weigh nothing in the backpack. No tank tops, no shorts above the knee... hard bill to fill on a sweltering summer day. Whip out a sarong, wrap it around & you're in business!
Some Cathedrals offer, free of charge, a paper gown. Ok, it's not the most attractive piece of apparel :D but it will get you in. It's not a fashion show but WOW were my daughters grateful not to have to wear one!

The Duomo di Sienna has probably been my favorite façade thus far. This Cathedral steeped in legend & historical fact has seen some amazing times. The black/green marble was a bit to get accustomed to & the difference of it's appearance on a rainy day & completely sunny day was really something to appreciate. We sat on the steps & just looked this for the longest time. If I'm not mistaken this cathedral, @ one time voted in (synod?) a pope & an antipope, Oooo strife & mystique! Recently, "rooms" have been discovered containing frescoes from the 1200's, oh WHAT a find !!! Needless to say, a treasure trove of archaeology still being discovered today. Oh to be a fly on the wall !
One aspect I appreciate in particular, are the sections glass floors many cathedral's implement to exhibit the remains of the original church discovered under the floors. (I almost hate to call them floors as they too are veritable works of art). Mummified bodies, relics & artifacts of all genre are often on display, but sometimes merely a description of what was found & where it is "stored" today -_- Bummer.

This city gives me the impression of pure academia. Wonderful, truly wonderful.




Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Palazzo Pubblico 1297Palazzo Pubblico 1297
Palazzo Pubblico 1297

Intended to have housed the Podesta & Council of Nine
Torre del Mangia (Tower of the Eater) Torre del Mangia (Tower of the Eater)
Torre del Mangia (Tower of the Eater)

1848 with Capella di Piazza @ base
Capella di Piazza 1325-ishCapella di Piazza 1325-ish
Capella di Piazza 1325-ish

Built as a tribute to the Holy Virgin by the survivors of the Black Plague
Interior CourtyardInterior Courtyard
Interior Courtyard

Trifora windows throughout
The symbol seen everywhere of the Wolf that feeds the TwinsThe symbol seen everywhere of the Wolf that feeds the Twins
The symbol seen everywhere of the Wolf that feeds the Twins

Remus & Romulus-Bronze by Giovanni and Lorenzo di Turino, in 1430
Paved in red brick and marble....Paved in red brick and marble....
Paved in red brick and marble....

The site was built in the XIII century
Siena eventSiena event
Siena event

The sun on flags represents the Tower on the piazza
DuomoDuomo
Duomo

Catedrale di Santa Maria
 Acanthus scrolls.... Acanthus scrolls....
Acanthus scrolls....

Allegorical figures and biblical scenes.. AMAZING!!!


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb