Gorgeous Siena


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Siena
May 14th 2008
Published: May 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

My first trip out of Florence was to Siena, which was absolutely gorgeous. Although the day started a bit too late (by the time i got to Siena it was almost 1 in the afternoon) it was still worth every minute. The weather was beautiful. I started with a wander through Siena's tiny streets. The whole town is on a hill, and the streets are pretty hilly, so every once in a while, at the end of one of these streets, you'd get a glimpse of the surrounding Tuscan countryside. Truly gorgeous. I visited the Torre de Mangia, which meant an incredible panorama of Siena and surrounds. Then I hung out in the Piazza del Campo, the favourite tourist hang out in Siena, and the ideal place to get some sun and catch up on some fine Italian gelati. Then I headed to the Duomo, which looked amazing from outside, but even moreso inside. I have to admit that thus far, this is the Church which was had the biggest effect on me, much more so than St Peters in the Vatican or the Duomo in Florence. The interior is very original and it has an atmosphere which is hard to describe. After that, there was another long wander through Siena's streets. It was already 5ish by this point and most of the tourists had gone home and the locals had not yet come out. The streets were really empty which, rather than being eery, was great, especially after the hustle and bustle of Florence. I headed up past Saint Catherine's house, up a hill, to Saint Domenico. A bit of a hike but i felt obliged to go visit my namesake. The Church itself was huge but very very plain, it looked like a bit empty warehouse. There was a little chapel dedicated to St Catherine, which was quite creepy because it had her mumified head in the center of the altar! And that was it, trip to Siena, finito.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Piazza del CampoPiazza del Campo
Piazza del Campo

Siena's main square
Piazza del Campo from abovePiazza del Campo from above
Piazza del Campo from above

Divided into 9 folds to correspond with 9 folds of the Madonna's cloak and the 9 rulers of Siena
the Duomo inside againthe Duomo inside again
the Duomo inside again

I loved the stripy zebra-style marble pillars
San DomenicoSan Domenico
San Domenico

which houses the relics of Saint Catherine of Siena


Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0944s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb