San Gimignano catches our heart


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » San Gimignano
April 24th 2018
Published: April 24th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Ahhhhhh Tuscany. After massive crowds in Roma due to the convergance of three holidays (Roma national birthday, Italian liberation Day and labor day, unbeknownst to us in full), we have arrived in Tuscany toquiet and peace and vistas for which there are no words that can adequately describe the beauty. I looked out and thought these are all those pictures and colors that I've loved looking at throughout the years and now I'm part of the picture! Che bellisimo!!

A steep harrowing walk to Certalda Alte.,A high old town so typical of Tuscan towns on a hilltop with Towers looking over the valley. Of course we had to walk the steep incline rather than take the funicula. My big toes even hurt from coming down the hill and having to brace myself against the steepness.

Our agrturismo s incredible! After an evening of getting lost in the dark trying to find a simple dinner we came back and found the cuoica (cook) Patrizia, available to us to provide us with platters of salami, procuitto, and cheese and bread and their own wine. Better than any food we could have bought in town. Vernaccia is the local wine of San Gimignano area...light, fruity...delicioso!

Tomorrow...the goats and sheep and roosters on the farm await us, including tours of the grapes, winery, and olive Fields. Volterra is another nearby another ancient town with pecorino Romano tours and we will visit. San gimignano proper on our list to visit too it is a bit more touristy than the other towns but hopefully will be as quiet as what we're experiencing in Certaldo and here on the farm. Such a Welcome Break after the harrowing crowds and hawkers of Roma!

I wrote this as I sat on the balcony of the agriturismo patio drinking a nearly complete bottiglia of vernaccia wine for myself! Feeling good and life is a dream!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0222s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb