The tower is still leaning


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Pisa
June 14th 2011
Published: June 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Me and the tower . . .Me and the tower . . .Me and the tower . . .

. . . both of us leaning.
Yes, we joined the hordes of other tourists in Europe this summer and visited the infamous leaning tower of Pisa. It was on the way to Florence, a quick hop off the train followed by a 20 minute hike across the Arno River. The day was hot, but our legs were strong because we'd been riding the train since 5:45 that morning. And nearly every block we walked there was a new gelato place, so we were motivated.

You can't see the tower from the train station, nor anywhere in the old city of Pisa. You walk and walk, then cross the Arno, then walk some more, and suddenly there it all is--three white stone buildings, the tower, the baptisery, and the baslica--all gleamingly white on a bed of green grass. It truly is stunning, despite the fact that hundreds or maybe even thousands of other people are seeing it with you.

We didn't buy a ticket to the tower in advance because we weren't sure of our train connections. This meant we missed out on walking all 300 or whatever steps to the top. No big deal. We enjoyed viewing it from the ground first, and then climbed
Basilica at PisaBasilica at PisaBasilica at Pisa

A view of the Pisa Basilica from the Baptisery. The leaning tower is behind the Basilica.
the steps inside the Baptisery to view it from there. If the best view in Paris is of the Eifel Tower, not from it, then the best view in Pisa is from anywhere but inside the tower. So that's what we did, we stayed on the ground.

Brian probably will post something about the tower and the architecture of the surrounding buildings. I will just admit to feeling overwhelmed that day, and a few other days on this trip, about the ancient material we're digesting. After awhile, you get tired of the Renaissance or even Middle Ages. You want the truly old stuff, you know, 5th century or earlier. So I was a bit jaded at the Tower. But it really was a cool sidetrip on the way to Florence, and I'm glad we did it. As Brian says, check that one off our list.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.246s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb