Italy Day 7 - Weather Adjustment Day - Cinque Terre is not going to happen.


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Lucca
October 14th 2014
Published: October 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

View of Lucca, the walled cityView of Lucca, the walled cityView of Lucca, the walled city

Still with it's wall around it, the Lucca people didn't fight anybody, so their wall remained intact, and because no one conquered them, they didn't dismantle their wall. This view is from atop the treed tower.
Today began with the news that the Cinque Terra was not going to be on our list of places to see today because of the bad weather. Day before yesterday, Genoua was flooded, and the weather forecast was bad for the Cinque Terra and since it is a bunch of pretty little towns build on the side of a cliff, if it is windy, or rainy, it is dangerous and they close the roads.

So, instead we were going to head for Lucca, spend the morning in the town, walking around within the walls. It is one of the few towns left that still has the wall because the Romans didn't destroy them. The Lucca people were diplomatic, and because they didn't fight others, the Romans didn't tear down their wall.

Of course, the town has a square with a church in it, and like lots of towns, even has many squares with churches. We didn't make them all, we only made one. We had a couple of hours befiore lunch, and our next decision point, so we chose to climb the Guinigi Tower. This is a tower that was built taller than any in Lucca, because the Guinigi
TGorre GuinigiTGorre GuinigiTGorre Guinigi

Another view from the Tower Guinigi
family had wealth, and when they were told they couldn't build it they built it anyway and then put a garden on top to make it seem even taller. The trip of 227 steps to the top, was well worth it when you got to the top you could view the entire city.

After lunch, we voted to drive along the coast to see what it looked like. If we can't go to the Cinque Terre, then lets go somewhere to make the trip worth it. We won't be here again, so let's see what we can while we are here.

The decision was made to drive to La Spezia, where we were going to catch the train to Cinque Terre, but rain was still there. La Spezia there was threat of rain, but no rain, so we went to Portovenere, which is now a military installation, protecting the harbor, and area. It must be a popular military place, because in the town, we saw several old fortresses built in 12th and 13th centuries, and some from 15th centuries. And, of course there was a little church, which was built where a Greek temple was.

This area
Street performers are in the squares.Street performers are in the squares.Street performers are in the squares.

This one was actually the only one when we got here, but was the best we have seen so far in squares. Others included pick-pockets, not entertaining, but still wanting your money, some singers, and some artists wanting to sketch you.
is also where white marble, Carrara Marble, comes from. There are lots of marble blocks in yards along the highway, with big cranes, ready to work into your next statue, counter top, or other object d'art.

On the way back down from the church on the hill, I stopped to test some Foccacia (a bread) and took it down to the parking area. We stopped in a little cafe to test the wine from the Cinque Terre. It was not bad. The Focaccia was also very good.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Porto VenerePorto Venere
Porto Venere

This is a military port, lots of defenses, and the remnants of forts, turned church, and the one on the right a Greek temple which is something else now.
While not "white" in the picture, the entire right side is white marbleWhile not "white" in the picture, the entire right side is white marble
While not "white" in the picture, the entire right side is white marble

This is dirty white marble, just laying there as part of the little island.
Another view during the walk to the topAnother view during the walk to the top
Another view during the walk to the top

Yes, it was a long walk, and an upward walk.
Walking up to the churchWalking up to the church
Walking up to the church

One of the views while walking up to the church on the top of the hill.
One of the many 'yards' of marble.One of the many 'yards' of marble.
One of the many 'yards' of marble.

White Carrara marble waiting for you to come pick out for your counter, statue, column, or other use.


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0222s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb