European Adventure 2013


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Lucca
October 7th 2013
Published: October 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

LuccaLuccaLucca

The Duomo - Cathedral di San Martino
Not a very exciting morning…got up late, had breakfast, organised some accommodation in Munich, put on some washing, got the dishwasher going, overloaded the power supply and tripped the safety switch. Time to make a move, so we walked to the Cathedral of St Martin (the Duomo), a huge edifice built in the 13thcentury and in incredibly good condition. Fantastic sculptures and paintings from 16th Century & earlier, including Tintoretto's famous "Last Supper". There is a wooden sculpture, the Volto Santo, purportedly carved by Nicodemus, whose claim to fame was that his burial chamber was used to lay the body of Christ. While the claim regarding Nicodemus is highly unlikely to be true, this ancient art work is very striking and well worth visiting the cathedral just to see this. Also exceptional was the Tomb of Ilaria, the wife of the Lord of Lucca, who died in childbirth in 1408 - an exquisite marble sculpture. No photography was allowed so you’ll have to come here and see for yourselves! After 7 weeks we’re still not sick of these amazing churches!

Back home for late lunch then hired some bikes and rode around the very picturesque city walls. A nice easy
LuccaLuccaLucca

Detail on the facade of the Duomo
ride which we will no doubt do a number of times over the next couple of weeks.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

LuccaLucca
Lucca

Detail on the Chiesa di San Michele
LuccaLucca
Lucca

Cycling the walls
LuccaLucca
Lucca

View over the walls late afternoon


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 13; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0262s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb