20 November 2006


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Lucca
December 4th 2006
Published: December 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

20 November 2006


A couple of friends who need a mention. We are delighted that Kathy is on the mend, and we look forward to seeing her soon. News is that Jayne is recovering fine, slowly but surely. You are in our thoughts.

“All things must pass”- GH.

After considerable discussion we have today decided to return to England to reappraise our situation, feed the coffers, and generally work out what to do. We have discovered that we really enjoy travelling, and we have loved every minute of living in Italy. Thus, rather than settling, we have developed a taste for more.

The chestnut forests behind us in Casatico are now bare, which offers very different and spectacular views of the mountains. Pania di Corfino (Zillah’s rock) a massive slab of calcareous rock stands proudly above the valley. Beyond in to the Apuane the mountain tops are snow covered.

I can’t work out the hunting scene round and about here. There are forest tracks, and mule trails which are festooned with “Divieto di Caccia” signs-“No hunting”. So, why at the weekends is the forest full of hunters? Not only that, but usually they are standing next to these signs, with rifles propped on the tree below whilst they have a crafty smoke. Further, why do the hunters wear camouflaged clothing and khaki/green face paints, only to wear fluorescent over jackets on top??

The hunters are after wild boar. We hear boar from time to time. On hunting days, dogs bellow from the valleys, but we rarely hear a shot, so maybe the boars have already cleared off? Last week, whilst out walking with our dogs we spotted a hairy lump just 15m away. At first it appeared like a large goat, but as it turned towards us we realised that it was the mighty chinghale. It rose from below the track, and it was massive. It disappeared in a flash, and we were delighted with our observation.

The man in the bank in Castelnuovo is most pleasant and helpful, but his face drops when we walk in to change travellers cheques. It seems to be a completely outdated means of money changing, several banks were unhelpful, and one poor clerk got so confused that we walked out. The Deutsch Banca have been brilliant with us, but the daily withdrawal is only 500e, so it’s a pain in the neck. He lives in Lucca, and could well be a footie fan.

There is a small workshop built in to the fortress walls. It’s a dream. They repair all things small and mechanical. Scooters, peds, bicycles, chainsaws and the rest. Full of cans of oil, and two stroke, and a very greasy floor. Piled to the gunnels with stuff. Who said “Health and Safety”?

Congratulations to Andrea on passing her bike test. We thank Andrea for her logistics assistance, and postmistress services. Ta. Can’t wait to see the gleaming Lambretta!

On the road again soon. Thanks again to Jim and Fay for their assistance in Casatico. Also special mention to Moura and Giovanni Giannotti for being so nice, and the free Italian lessons. Adriana with her booming voice, and ailments, but fighting fit at ottanta due. The Signori in the village shop, who fetch a bottle of red from the back if Guido as much as walks past the door. The odd bloke with the chickens. Maria, who has taken to Zillah, and has her small carton of wine tucked away in her shopping bag. Maria’s neighbour, who secretly competes for Zillah’s attention. The cheery chap with the red setter. And, so many, many more.

25 Nov 06 Heading north again to Emilia Romagna, then west through the Alps to France. Hope the weather is OK, and no snow!! This week snow has fallen here, and the mountain tops look beautiful.

France, tunnel du Frejus, Liguria and the med, s. Toscana, Umbria, Le Marche, Abruzzo, n. Toscana, Emilia Romagna, Lombardia, Piemonte, Monte Bianco, tunnel du Mt Blanc, France. Where next??

Buon Natale and Merry Christmas to one and all, wherever you are. It won’t be long!

Finito, for now.






Advertisement



Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb