Hiking the Island of Elba


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Isola d'Elba
May 15th 2009
Published: May 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

At the top of the MountainAt the top of the MountainAt the top of the Mountain

Possibly the site of an ancient monastary called San Bartolomeo.
What a beautiful time we are having together! A fabulous hike from our little town of Chiessi into the next little town of Pomonte where we discovered yet ANOTHER great gelateria. There are soooo many not-so-good gelaterias, but somehow we keep stumbling on the organic, pure and divinely fresh gelato wherever we go! First in Florence at "Grom", then in Marina Di Campo (where I am writing from right now as it is one of the only towns equipped with internet) at "Zero Gradi" (officially our favorite) and then "Gelateria Artiginale" in Pomonte.

My favorite flavors in this order (so far) are Nociola (Hazelnut), Pera (pear), Pistaccio, Bacia (chocolate with hazelnuts), and Banana. Katrina almost always goes for Fior di Panna and Pistaccio and Hazelnut.

We swam in the meditteranean again today, despite being the only ones on the beach due to the overcast and chill without the sun. I still managed to keep warm and LOVED swimming in that salty sea. Katrina and I exfoliated with the sand, rubbing each others backs with it until we felt sooo smooth!

Our hike yesterday was BEAUTIFUL! Filled with wild herbs: lavendar, mint, rosemary, fennel and many many wild flowers
Chiessi From AboveChiessi From AboveChiessi From Above

This is the view of our town from the peak!
red poppies, honey suckle, jasmine, little yellow, red, pink and purple flowers everywhere! We chatted, bonded, talked about life and just had a fabulous sister time. After arriving into Pomonte we ordered panini with eggplant, zucchini and cheese it was delicious! We walked back along the road for about 20 minutes to Chiessi...our little home!

I am sending you all lots of hugs and hoping you are having a beautiful day!

Ciao,

Heather (and Katrina)


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Abandoned HouseAbandoned House
Abandoned House

I have a strange love of abandoned houses and was overwhelmed with wanting to go explore this one...but alas due to the blackberry thicket I could not...


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb