Firenze - Day 2


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
July 14th 2011
Published: August 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

The CampanileThe CampanileThe Campanile

The tower that adjoins the Duomo. Four hundred and twenty three steps up a narrow internal stone staircase that at times has little air. Best place to view the city.
Geo: 43.7687, 11.2569

Up early to a hearty buffet breakfast at the Hotel. A busy day planned with so much to see.

First up we climbed the Campanile, the tower that adjoins the Duomo. Four hundred and twenty three steps to the top. The view though was worth the climb.

Next we visited the Duomo, the massive Church with the Dome, that is one of the world's great Churches. An amazing building with marble floors and detailed frescos on the inside of the high dome.

We then visited the Schappelle of the Medici Family, which contains the tombs of many of the Medici family, along with a number of their religious icons. The interior of the Schapelle shows the unbelievable wealth of this powerful family.

The markets in Florence are renowned for their quality leather goods, so Kim picked up a leather handbag at a good price. Clothes are also reasonably cheap in Florence, and Kim did some clothes shopping.

We then visited the Piazza Pitti, the palace of the Medici, Lorraine and Savoy families down through the ages. Again, a stunning display of wealth with no expense spared in fitting out the palace. We were lucky enough to see on display in
Exterior of the Duomo Church Exterior of the Duomo Church Exterior of the Duomo Church

Built out of green and white marble, the detail in the front of the church was extraordinary.
the palace the "Treasures of the Kremlin". What an amazing collection to view. The wealth of the Romanovs and the Tsars of Russia, and the history attached to the items was very interesting.

Attached to the palace are the Boboli Gardens, which were a nice place to cool off from the heat of the day. There are ancient statues throughout the gardens, which cover many hectares of the centre of Florence. The gardens and palace are located on a hill in the centre of the city.

Finally we walked across the Ponte Vecchio, and headed back along the river to our Hotel, exhausted but happy that we had crammed so much into the day.

Off to Verona tomorrow, so an early start again.

Jim and Kim






Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The DuomoThe Duomo
The Duomo

Looking up at the frescos on the interior of the dome.
Piazza PittiPiazza Pitti
Piazza Pitti

Looking back at the palace from the Boboli Gardens.
Kim in the Boboli Gardens Kim in the Boboli Gardens
Kim in the Boboli Gardens

Pictured in front of an Egyptian Obelisk and large Roman Bath.


Tot: 0.267s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0626s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb